Forums Latest Members
  1. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

Hello guys, I recently bought a manual vintage omega de ville. I'm having trouble with it and not sure if it's operator error or if there was an issue that wasn't disclosed by the seller. I wind up the watch, can manage about 9 turns until I hear a click, it then lasts about 3 hours or so without wear.
    (Please know I'm new to the watch game and apologise if anything sounds stupid)
    Any ideas on this situation please?

Would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

IMG_5401.JPG
    Edited May 13, 2017
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 13, 2017

Regardless of opinions about what's causing it, I would take it to a watchmaker to have checked out.

begandbelieve and watch3s like this.
  3. pinpallet May 13, 2017

My guess is broken mainspring (not a watchmaker)

begandbelieve likes this.
  4. Canuck May 13, 2017

What is the seller's return policy? How long have you had the watch? Depending on what you paid for it, the cost of a thorough service might result in your having paid more for the watch than you would want to pay. One has to wonder how many other problems a repair shop might discover, aside from a broken mainspring!

begandbelieve and watch3s like this.
  5. watch3s May 13, 2017

like the others say, Id return it if possible. wonder if the main spring is broken or slipped out of the arbor. a watch maker would be better equipped to find out

begandbelieve likes this.
  6. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

Thanks for all of your replies guys, I've had it going for 4 hours and it's still going. I am wondering if I was too gentle in winding (as I only got 8 turns), will see if any better and if not, attempt to return it.

7. Canuck May 13, 2017

Every time you hear that "click" while winding the watch manually likely means that, if you continue to wind after the click, you are starting all over again. If you are concerned that you might harm the watch by over-winding it, stop worrying. Wind it all you like. If you are only getting 3 to 4 hours of run time after manually winding it 40 to 50 turns, the watch needs to either go back to the seller, or the repair shop. Just make sure to choose your repair shop carefully. About 90% of the "watchmakers" currently active are lost when it comes to servicing watches like your Omega. Stay away from the watch repair kiosk at your local mall. Generally, these kiosks use shops that are incapable of doing anything other than swapping out cheap quartz movements! Before I end up wearing the brown helmet :D, let me say that there are exceptions to this rule.

8. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

Ahh, that's fantastic news. (winding part). I may have been overly careful when winding it as I wound about 10 half-winds. Hopefully it's my fault and not the watches! Thank you ever so much for your reply, I will update you when the watch stops. Yeah, I'll be sure to follow your advice when it comes to reparations.

9. Vitezi May 13, 2017

Welcome to the forum! After all of this good advice, we'd appreciate a picture of your watch in return. :)

10. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

Of course.

11. Uniqez May 13, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like ref. 111.007 powered by cal.620 manual wind. The crown is soooo small on it, I had issues winding it with my fingers.
    Mine was with roman dial, SS case. IMG_20161019_231945.jpg

12. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

I believe it is the 1115067, the crown is very small though, yes. It looks great with the roman dial

13. Canuck May 13, 2017

Good point! The OP said " self-winding", which pertains to a watch that winds itself! But it is not unheard of that a nOOb might call a manual wind watch a "self-winder", because you have to wind it yourself! If this Omega is indeed a manual winder, then the winding crown should only be wound until it refuses to turn any more. If this watch is a manual winder, the owner should wind the crown until it stops turning. Then monitor the run time. A manual winder that will wind and never wind fully, probably has a broken mainspring.

14. begandbelieve May 13, 2017

Thanks, I've edited that now! Haha