Forums Latest Members

7 months of BOOTY, 1000 posts, and a bit of reflection...

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 10, 2015

Wow.
    I never woulda thunk it... never thought my love affair for watches would 'blossom' into what it is today...

Before ΩF (those mis-guided years), I focused mainly on micro-brand divers, and also was fascinated (and still am) by tritium-illuminated watches. But it wasn't until I came here, that I REALLY saw and felt: the light' :thumbsup:, ..... and a bit of wallet shrinkage, respectively!

(Hint: if you wanna skip a little history and see a group shot of my first 7 months of BOOTY, go all the way down)

It all began October 9th, 2014, when I joined :eek:.

Within 4 days, I had bought three (3) Omegas! My maiden purchase was a '58 Seamaster SS 2846-14 with a cal 501 from @jinson :

IMG_2603.JPG

Followed the next day by a Seamaster Professional 2255.80:

IMG_2641.JPG

... then I got really lucky the very next day, when I truly fell in 'love at first sight'::love::... I saw it on eBay, but I never asked the experts on the Forum any questions :eek:, I just bought it! So daam lucky.

It probably continues to be my favorite watch, a '54 bumper Connie 2782-9, cal 354:

Photo Nov 06, 3 56 13 PM.jpg

Since the watch gods were so good to me, and blessed me, I decided I would use my newly acquired brothers from then on before any more purchases. So, I didn't buy for awhile :p.

But soon, there came another itch...,

I realized that Omegas weren't the only brand that could 'float my boat' ;)...

or,
    maybe I just lacked true 'focus'...;)

So, 26 days after I married 'Connie', I began a torrid love affair with a cute golden-capped girl, named 30L (for Love!) ::love:::

Photo Nov 07, 2 40 04 PM.jpg
    YES! My first Longines!!! (thanks, @Modest_Proposal !)

But, of course, that wasn't enough. I wanted solid gold. I had read at Fratello that sweet solid, high-quality gold could be had for under two grand from pimp-man-brand named 'Zenith', so I jumped on this baby, a 146D (for Dangerous!):

Photo Feb 21, 9 32 17 AM.jpg

Such satisfaction!.... or so I thought. I had only just begun my journey, still unfocused as it was.

I began dipping into other Swiss brands, fascinated by the multitude of quality makers. I bought a vintage Wittnauer Alarm and a Marvin Hermetic as fine affordable keepers just before Thanksgiving. It was over two months before I bought another watch, so I guess I kinda took a break during the holiday season... Perhaps family time got in the way of my passion :eek:!

January 24th, I bought an 'Ed White' Speedmaster that turned out to have a 321 inside with a paperclip ::screwloose:: and who knows what else to keep it ticking, so it was returned. Once that happened, so did a small buying frenzy! Seven (7) watches in 12 days, including two beautifully patinated watches: a rare Constellation 2887 cal 505 and a '53 Seamaster from member @cristos71 . Also, a modern, titanium Tudor Pelagos that I had always lusted for back in my 'dark', pre-ΩF days...:confused:

The month following that frenzy, I have no recollection. I was either post-ictal, or probably because I didn't buy a watch, or both...

Then, I bought my one and only current Speedie. A 'Speediorite', the 35th Anniversary LE of the final Apollo mission which ws a coitis of sorts ::love::, with the Soviet Soyuz module. Meteorite dial. I love this watch! I wear it a lot.

Photo Apr 27, 2 57 58 PM.jpg

So now it's time to just cut to the chase, dang it.

I was falling for Eternas (the brand that revolutionized automatics)....so I bought a few beauties, the best one from a fine Forum member, @Northernman ...

then it happened.

Yep. Another frenzy.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omg...-packages-aka-longines-indulgence-plus.24274/

So, here's the final booty call (minus 3: 2 in the spa, 1 still enroute) in seven months since joining 'Addiction City':

IMG_5005.JPG

Left/bottom row = Longines

Middle = Omega

Upper/Right: various- Eternas, Marvins, Yemas, Revue, Alpina, Movado, Wittnauer, Titus, Tudor

Total haul: 33! 18 of those in the last 4 weeks..::screwloose::

The three missing watches are all Longines, a MW cal 280, my Ultra-Chron cal 431, and a most precious

18k Gold Flagship that's getting serviced:

Photo Apr 27, 2 49 53 PM.jpg Photo Apr 27, 2 53 14 PM.jpg

I guess the bottom line is, that I do still mostly lack focus, but it is fairly clear that Longines and Omega both tickle my fancy.... a lot!

Thanks, Ω-Forum, for fascilitating all of my indulgences
    :taunt:!

Edited May 10, 2015
  2. Northernman Lemaniac May 10, 2015

Well confessed son!
    Now go out and sin some more:)

ffej4, Mad Dog, ulackfocus and 5 others like this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2015

Good grief! What a haul. I think I went through a similar thing in my first few months. But I was also stuck at home with a 1yr old, so I didn't have much to do while she was asleep except being here and on EBay!

JohnSteed, Northernman and dougiedude like this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac May 10, 2015

Same here! Fathers staying home with toddlers are bound for a slippery slope....
    :confused:

5. cristos71 May 10, 2015

Great work! Truly committed :D

I think it took me about four or five years to reach that amount of watches ;)

dougiedude and JohnSteed like this.
  6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 10, 2015

That is a fine, fine collection. You've done so much in a year.... :thumbsup:

dougiedude likes this.
  7. JohnSteed May 10, 2015

Amazing collection D!!

Expect to see lots more wrist pics!

:thumbsup:

dougiedude likes this.
  8. lillatroll May 10, 2015

Nice collection you have there and range of different watches.
    The first fer days/weeks on here it is hard not to give the bank balance a bashing. I have only bought three watches but have wanted to buy a lot more. I decided that I would stick to Omega watches and the vintage ones would be from the 70s and 60s as these are the ones I like the most. I also plan to buy a new bullhead and a PO, It is hard not to jump on watches straight away especially when I have the cash (put away to buy an apartment when I get back to Europe) to buy everything I want right now,lucky my money is not at my immediate disposal or i would be in trouble with the wife :unsure:

dougiedude likes this.
  9. marturx May 10, 2015

That's so impressive! :thumbsup: Not only the quantity, but also the quality. And all in only 7 month. Also 1.000 posts in between....

I think you're the natural born vintage watch hunter :D

dougiedude and Northernman like this.
  10. lenny May 10, 2015

Guilty...

Edited May 10, 2015
  11. ulackfocus May 10, 2015

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. :p

You certainly made the most of 2015's watch season!

dougiedude likes this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 10, 2015

Welcome to Watcholic Anonymous.........

First step: "Hi....I am addicted in snatching shiny Omega and Longines........."
    I think there would be 12 steps or so....
    I can not remember since I haven't moved too far from first step yet.

dougiedude likes this.
  13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2015

It also meant that I was always home when the postman arrived. No risk of the wife:
    A) seeing it
    B) opening it
    C) seeing the declared value
    Etc etc.

14. rwilner May 10, 2015

This.

Also. This post really doesn't make me feel bad about my collection of 12.

Tell me...what did your wife get in exchange for...um...tolerating your watch binge?

Mine demanded countertops.

dougiedude likes this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2015

I should add here that my 3yr old said to me on fridaY
    "Daddy, i like the sound of your watches"
    its all worth it!

dougiedude likes this.
  16. rwilner May 10, 2015

Yep.

My 3 year old "helped" me polish a well worn tag heuer Monaco that I got for a song. Never to early to start the addiction!

Of course the problem is that he wants to wear them too...and he's always reaching for the bell and ross flyback chrono or the limited edition ball moonlight...good taste!

17. xcentric May 10, 2015

blimey, you've got it bad.

decent collection there - I'm pleased with mine, and I've only bought 3.....

dougiedude likes this.
  18. x3no May 10, 2015

That Zenith is looking lonely--why don't you let me take that off your hands and it can be lonely in MY currently non-zenith collection :)

Kidding, but dibs? Great love life story ha, and awesome collection :thumbsup:::love::

dougiedude likes this.
  19. SeanO May 10, 2015

Ahh..... the sweet smell of insanity..

and they reckon it's not contagious.. :thumbsup:

dougiedude and ulackfocus like this.
  20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 10, 2015

Here I was expecting some serious junk in the trunk...:rolleyes:

dougiedude likes this.