Forums Latest Members
  1. wwhntr May 15, 2017

Ok Speedmaster experts, take a close look at the writing on case back and tell me what you think about it. Are there serifs onl letters? Is this correct?

Also, note "T" in FIRST, left top tail missing?

IMG_0380.JPG

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 15, 2017

Compared to mine, your caseback etching is somewhat worn. Perhaps you piece of "T" got lost from years of wrist rub. IMG_6586.JPG

3. wwhntr May 15, 2017

Do letters on pictured case back writing have "serifs" or is my eyesight fooling me? Please enlarge picture and examine closely.

4. repoman May 15, 2017

Just a guess, but any appearance of serifs is possibly just due to imprecise engraving and eyes playing tricks... as you move your eye further away from the caseback, there is clearly no serif, everything looks straight and clean-- its only when you get really close (high resolution images or magnification) that you start to see imprecise edges throughout the lettering and some of that looks like serifs.

5. wsfarrell May 16, 2017

I'm away from my watch and can't get a photo, but a blowup of gemini4's watch shows that these are definitely serifs. There are many examples in the photo below, but the short crossbar on the F is ironclad.

serifs.jpg

gemini4 likes this.
  6. noiseboyuk May 17, 2017

All the pictures above definitely have serif when zoomed in.
    The top tail missing from the 'T' in the original picture looks like bad engraving.
    I'm not sure whether this indicates 'after market' work - the rest looks too good.