Forums Latest Members

'69 Speedy just back from service but chrono hand jumps occasionally when first started

1. Davidt Jul 1, 2014

Evening All (or morning, depending upon where you are!)

I've just received my 861 '69 Speedy back from a service (I bought it from the niece of the original owner with unknown service history so wore it for a week or so before sending it away). Anyway, it arrived back with me today. However, the pushers all feel stiffer than before it was serviced, as if there's too much resistance and furthermore, when I start the chrono, around 1 time in 8, the second counter doesn't start from 0 but quickly jumps forward to near the 5 second maker, and starts from there.

I'll drop the watchmaker an email anyway but does anyone have any thoughts? It may help to know that initially I was advised to change the pushers as they were stuck. I said this was fine if needed. However, in the service notes, it states that the original pushers freed up when they were lubricated and so they were retained. Obviously this may explain the stiffness but what about the jump in the chrono hand when it first starts. Incidentally, once it's started, the chrono second hand runs just fine.