Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Jun 30, 2016

I posted an incoming thread around 18 months ago when this first arrived. It was a gift to my dad and visiting the folks this evening I realised I never got around to posting the 'after' pictures.

It was listed on eBay from the son of the original owner, who father used it for racing on the Isle of Wight. The photos weren't great by any means and it looked tired. I stuck in a bid which I thought had a slim chance of being successful and surprisingly enough, I got it. Just.

When it came the pictures weren't lying, it was tired. It had a worn case, mouldy/no lume, a knackered crystal, mk something hands and a -69 caseback. But, it also had a working 861 with a correct transitional serial, an applied logo 861 dial, average DoN bezel and a nice vintage 1171 bracelet.

And it was cheap.

image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

So off it went to STS for the works, but before it did, I was lucky enough to source a correct .022-68 caseback. Even so, this was never going to be a show stopper. It was a gift for the old man and although I love him to bits, I'm not in a position to drop thousands and thousands on the grumpy old chap. Furthermore, he's not the type to pamper a watch. As far as he's concerned a watch, especially one such as this, is a tool, and is meant to be worn as such. Therefore, this fitted the bill perfectly.

I asked for a thorough clean, full movement service, removal of remaining lume as it looked terrible, new hands, tidy up of the bracelet and a balanced polish to bring the case back to life, without removing too much metal. I subsequently put a service bezel on it when I realised the original might get more damage.

This is how it came back. Like I said, it's no concourse winner, the lack of lume on the dial and new hands don't give that warm vintage look, but for what it cost and given its current use, it's perfect. The case still shows some nicks and wear to reflect its past use, but the guys at STS truly work wonders. The sides in particular look amazing. None of the blurred, soft edges you see with many refinishes. Even the superluminova hands have worked well as it can be used in the dark again.

Strangely enough, despite the fact that it's missing a lot of the aspects that are valued in a vintage watch, I've got a soft spot for this one and it's 'value' far exceeds the sum of it's parts.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Jun 30, 2016
  2. sky21 Jun 30, 2016

Looks great and it has a great story to go along with it! Thanks for sharing.

Just Livin and Davidt like this.
  3. ICONO Jun 30, 2016

I am quite certain, David that your Dad deeply appreciates the thought, intention, & deep affection behind your gift to him

I lost my Father in January and not a day passes that I do not miss him, or his love & support for
    me

Value what you have, & cherish it whilst it lasts

patrick1616, lillatroll, traf and 6 others like this.
  4. Davidt Jun 30, 2016

Sorry for your loss Patrick.

Could not agree more with your last sentence.

5. Bluemartinifan Jul 1, 2016

Wonderful project and sentiment.

6. Banner Roar Jul 1, 2016

Great project and sentiment.....try with the old bezel it had great character from the years it was worn.

7. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 1, 2016

Looks ace and the sentiment is just right. I too no longer have a dad to indulge with such gifts, but I do have two sons and it's pleasant to think of these prized possessions of ours passing up and down the generations. That's a clever - and true - strapline that Patek Philippe have about never actually 'owning', just 'looking after' for the next generation.

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 1, 2016

Both watch and story are wonderful. I wish your pops many, many years of happy wearing!

9. cwindham Jul 1, 2016

Actually you said the watch looked tired but in reality, all that was needed was a new set of hands... or vintage ones at least. There is NOTHING wrong with the DON bezel, 1 little chip but other than that it looked fine. No lume would bother the hell out of me tho.
    If you said that one was in bad shape, what would you call mine?

BTW that service dial with no step look completely out of place in your speedy. If you are happy with it then by all means roll with it.
    IMG_7122.JPG

watchcollect likes this.
  10. pascs Jul 1, 2016

Great to see it has a new lease of life :thumbsup:

11. RegF Jul 1, 2016

Wow!

What a transformation!

I'm sure that your father will love that it came from you even if he doesn't get the heritage of the beastie

12. Davidt Jul 1, 2016

I didn't replace the DoN because it had a chip, I put a service bezel on there to take the hammer, while preserving the original, to be replaced at a later date.

The dial is the original step dial, just with the remnants of mouldy lume removed. No service dial in sight. I had considered reluming it but in the end, left it without. Somehow the contrast doesn't look as sharp in real life.

13. M'Bob Jul 1, 2016

All smiles now, I bet.

Davidt likes this.
  14. asiatic44 Jul 1, 2016

Curious how much this project set you back?

15. cwindham Jul 1, 2016

Sorry about saying it was a service dial, my mistake. It just looks odd without the lume i suppose.

16. Davidt Jul 1, 2016

No worries. It doesn't have the warmth of a dial with nicely aged vintage lume, but 80% of the lume had already fallen off.

It serves it's purpose superbly at the minute and we can always refit the original bezel and relume in the future, to make it correct (although the hands and case back are correct, they obviously aren't original).

17. Davidt Jul 1, 2016

Initial price was considerably less than 'poor' on speedmaster101, with an STS service on top.