Forums Latest Members
  1. 250scr Jan 7, 2015

Hi, I would like to know if the movement pictured is a correct movement for this 145.012 and if you see any missing parts or if something does not look the part. Thank you

speedmaster 013.JPG speedmaster 003.JPG
  2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 7, 2015

Is the serial number on the movement 26mil? If so looks correct. Very clean and shiny.

3. 250scr Jan 7, 2015

yes it starts with 26. do you think it's too shiny considering it's age?

4. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 7, 2015

Probably just been serviced. All of the screw heads look good.

5. 250scr Jan 7, 2015

Ok great, so this movement in your opinion is one that you would not worry about then as far as correctness and completeness? thank you

6. mozambique Jan 7, 2015

Too shiny may be a bad thing for the case, but as far as the movement goes, I would say its a very good sign indicating recent service

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2015

Looks pretty good and clean clean on the movement side at least

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

Or it's never been serviced. I would lean towards that personally. I can't see enough detail of the balance jewel to see if it still has oil in it or not.

Unless you have proof it's been serviced recently, I would assume it has not.

Cheers, Al

9. repoman Jan 7, 2015

Let's see the rest of the watch, if its anywhere near as nice as the movement and visible portions of the case back, it's going to be a really nice '67.

10. flyingout Jan 7, 2015

When you get a watch in, how reliably can you tell whether or not it had ever been serviced?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

Fairly I think. First, although the practice is frowned upon these days as damaging the case, watchmakers used to scratch their code, date, job number, etc. on the inside of the case back. I have even seen scratches made on movement parts., apparently to identify which watch a specific part came from.

The fact is many watchmakers leave traces behind of their work. Not the way it should be, and I certainly do everything I can to make sure no one would know I've been inside the watch. But often I see watches come in with chewed up screw heads, scratches in places that can't be seen by anyone except a watchmaker who is disassembling the movement. There are usually signs.

Cheers, Al

flyingout likes this.
  12. repoman Jan 7, 2015

OK, got another question for you Al since this is yet another thread we get to pick your brain on... we've all seen pictures of inner casebacks that have non-factory markings, either with indelible ink, or with an engraving pen, that seems to be a written record of prior service, but in each example I've seen there doesn't seem to be any sane and consistent format of the information put into these markers, in fact, I can rarely interpret anything meaningful at all. So, my questions: do watchmakers typically mark the caseback after a service? Do you? what kind of information is typically included?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

There is no standard for these markings. Now the AWCI in the US was at one time issuing marks to watchmakers so that if a legal issue came up, they could prove if the watch was serviced by them or not. These marks tend to have a triangle in the text somewhere. This is a code that only the watchmaker and the AWCI knew who it was assigned to.

In other cases, it could be a job number off the job envelope, could be the shop's invoice number, could be a date, etc.

As I mentioned, this is considered damaging someone's property, so I don't mark the watch using the old scratch method. I also do not use markers, because quite frankly I have concerns about off gassing from the marker ink.

I have other documentation I keep to know if I have serviced a watch or not, so I don't find marking it necessary.

Cheers, Al

Geo!, g-boac and Stewart H like this.