Forums Latest Members

65' Omega Speedmaster Pre Moon? (Servicing recommendations)

1. jimmyd13 Feb 1, 2017

Just wanted to chime in and say: lovely heirloom.

I can't help with recommending anywhere to service as I'm part way around the world but I will say this: consider carefully what you want done. Watches tell stories. Every ding, dent and scratch becomes a part of the watch. Now, some want perfect examples. That's fine. That's what they want and it's their watch and money. For me, I'll accept every mark for what it is.

Now, your watch has a couple of dents that could be repaired, but the bezel underneath the dents is going to be different. While it might straighten out, the discolouration will show where the damage was at the very least. This is one of the things you need to give thought to. Personally, I would just leave the dents alone altogether.

The bezel is actually really nice. The crystal, no-one's going to gripe about changing that out and a nice new clean glass will lift the appearance of the dial tenfold. The pushers and crown can be replaced and, if you want to ensure that the watch is waterproof, then do that. Just make sure to get the old parts back, keep them in a little plastic bag with the watch and they'll be there for anyone who wants them in the future.

The bracelet isn't really correct, but don't sweat it. The older bracelets were a little ... not fragile but, less hard-wearing. It's entirely likely that the original bracelet was damaged, stretched or marked and this bracelet installed to replace that in the 70s. It's now another part of the watch's story. You can source original replacements but you're going to have to part with four figures.

Anyway, think about what you want to get from the watch and congratulations again on acquiring a really nice piece of history.

JSlon likes this.
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 1, 2017

Lovely watch with a lovely story!

I joined in December with my Dad's old 105.012. I got the same expert advice from the forum. Over here in the UK, not too far from London we have a very well respected set up called Swiss Time Services. So many experienced forum members recommended them to me that, I'm saving up, and have total confidence in taking my watch over to them.
    I'm sure you must have similar set ups in the USA. For additional information you've got Speedmaster101. Check it out. It's a great resource and the author is a well respected Omega Forums member.

I agree with what's been said about your bracelet. My watch has one or two quirky details. I also have an 1171/633 replacement, but I have pictures of my Dad with that watch on that replacement bracelet going back to the early 1970's.

Yeah... it's a replacement but (like yours) it's become part of the history of the watch. It may not be correct for the purist, but it's what my Dad wore for 30 years after the original broke. (I may even have had a hand in breaking it??? I remember I used to get a light kick up the arse if I picked it up).

In the second and third pictures he's probably murdering the old "I did it my way" song at some beer stained, smokey social club... but the Speedy is safe and secure on the 1171/633.

In the other picture he's getting pissed with his mate at my 1st wedding in 1978 after telling me my lovely bride looked like she'd just fell off a christmas tree! You can see the ever present 105.012 Speedy (with it's 1171/633) peeping out from under his cuff. The watch is 13 years old at this point in time, but the 1171 is part of the story.

Same thing for you. Your Grandad wore his Speedmaster on that beautiful secure 1171/633. In my book, that makes it correct for you.

Great vintage watch with a story attached. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you enjoy the forum. They're a helpful bunch of chaps. They'll tell you straight if your up the wrong road but they'll also take the time to offer you the correct info that you need in order to understand and care for your vintage watch. (In the process you'll also enjoy some rather abrasive but amusing, witty stuff.)

46ed168f-6b80-4505-9d5a-2caf751adddd.jpg d6a435c4-7d46-4489-a903-f4f255c375a6.jpg
    Edited Feb 1, 2017
    JSlon, simonsays and jimmyd13 like this.
  3. LeoneFM Feb 1, 2017

+1

4. simonsays Feb 1, 2017

My 2 pence would say that the 4mm pushers on the 105.003 are hard to replace. Often they are replaced with larger 4.5mm pushers that don't look quite right to a purest.
    That being said if you are going to wear it regularly and it is humid where you live, or do a bit of washing up etc. I would prefer to have it waterproof and protect the dial and movement by replacing the crown and pushers(keep the originals safe).
    If you are careful and just wear it on special occasions then keep it original. I would not hesitate to have the plexiglass replaced with a new one. Nothing sexy about scratched plastic, and seeing that beautiful dial in all its glory is what its all about.
    It is a lovely watch and I hope you get lots of satisfaction from owning it. Unfortunately it is often hard to find people who appreciate what you have on your wrist in the real world!

JSlon likes this.