Forums Latest Members

65' Omega Speedmaster Pre Moon? (Servicing recommendations)

1. JSlon Jan 6, 2017

Hi all! This is my first time posting on here and I'm no collector so happy for any feedback I can get from you all who are clearly more knowledgeable than me! I recently inherited an Omega from my grandpa that my grandma found in a drawer and didn't even know existed, so I have no knowledge of when it was last serviced, etc. I have deduced after doing some research around the past few weeks that I think it is a 1965 Speedmaster Ed White ref. 105.003, cal. 321. Was just curious if y'all think I'm correct. The watch clearly has some wear and dings but overall it looks like it's in pretty good shape and everything functions correctly! Was wondering, I live in New Orleans, LA, where we don't have an Omega store unfortunately but my grandma lives in Naples, FL, so she has access to one, what are y'alls experiences with sending a watch off to Omega in Bienne? I think, to be serviced, refurbished and what not. I have read a lot of positive and some negative experiences. I've also read about sending it to a Nesbit's? I believe in Seattle. Clearly whoever I send it off to I would want as many of the original parts intact and to remain and not be replaced. I don't mind the scratches or dings on the crystal and bezel personally and am hoping it just needs a good cleaning. Any feedback is helpful! (also I apologize in advance for the lack of stellar photography makes the watch look worse than is in person)

FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpg-11.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpg-12.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpg-14.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpg-13.jpeg IMG_3427.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 6, 2017

Do Not Send It To Omega!!! Someone will be along to assist with a watchmaker but I can't stress enough to not send it to Omega.

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 6, 2017

DO NOT SEND TO BIENNE!!!!!!!!!!!!

very nice looking example and congrats.

JSlon likes this.
  4. corn18 Jan 6, 2017

Oh my! That is a wonderful find! Do not send it to Omega. They might ruin it by replacing all of those wonderfully aged piece parts. You have found a wonderful watch that is an heirloom.

I'll let others chime in on a good watchmaker that may be in your area or in FL. But in the meantime. Do not wear or wind it. Even if it is working, I saw a 17 year old beautiful two tone Rolex at my watchmaker today that a guy pulled out of his safe after 15 years of not using it. It looked beautiful, but because he started wearing it without getting it serviced first, the guts got damaged. So be patient. Once you find a watchmaker, you will want to open up the back and post pics of the movement and serial number. That will allow us to fully authenticate it.

As for this watch, it looks great. The bracelet is a replacement but that isn't a big deal. The hands look like they have new lume, but that's not a bid deal either.

BTW, that watch is worth $10k+, so treat it well.

Tom

Jwit likes this.
  5. JSlon Jan 6, 2017

FullSizeRender.jpg-2.jpeg
  6. corn18 Jan 6, 2017

Yup, the 1171 with the 633 end links started in 1971ish. The correct bracelet would be a 1039 w/ 516 end links. But I would not replace that bracelet. It probably spent a lot of quality time on your grandpa and if it could talk, oh the stories it might tell. Think of the connection you would have with grandpa by just getting it serviced and wearing it just as is.

7. JSlon Jan 6, 2017

Yeah that's how I feel about it! I'm not planning on selling it either, just want it to be serviced so I can wear it on occasion and enjoy it as a memento too

8. corn18 Jan 6, 2017

Disregard, the 1039/516 is not correct. There are many that would work, so I'll defer to smarter folks.

%22AQZ.png

9. JSlon Jan 6, 2017

Thanks for the diagram! Yeah I'm honestly not concerened about replacing the band, it's still old and fits perfectly.

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 6, 2017

The correct bracelet for a 105.003-65 is either a 7912 or 1035 with #6 or #506 19mm end links.

Davidt and cvrle1 like this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 6, 2017

Mmm, 1035/506...

Very nice watch there! Some members have reported good success with Nesbitt's as well as European Watch Co in the Boston area...

Great heirloom you have there!

JSlon likes this.
  12. U5512 Jan 6, 2017

Great '65 Speedmaster from grandpa. Take care of it now!!!

JSlon likes this.
  13. g-boac Jan 7, 2017

The lume on your watch is 100% original and correct, and looks exactly the same in color as the lume on my 105.012-66CB. The date of production of my watch is listed as being in mid-1967 on the archive extract, with serial number beginning 2495xxxx. I suspect the lot (batch) of lume used by Omega during this time on both of our watches was the same, and furthermore, it's consistent with several other examples I've seen posted in this Forum, and of other reputable Swiss brands (e.g., early matte dial metres-first Submariners and GMTs):

IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG

Also note in the two pictures above they're of my same watch, just slightly different lighting angle - not unlike a couple of @JSlon pictures shared previously. So I suspect @JSlon watch is of the same circa, which means that his lume is original. Most likely 1966-1967 production window, probably serial range is the same. Given this:

[1] your most likely original bracelet was a 1035/506. Get one if you can, it will look great with your watch!
    [2] it is however possible that your grandpa purchased this watch later, even as late as early 70s, and it's possible that the bracelet that sold to your grandpa was the 1171.

It's also important to note that you have all correct, original parts on your watch. Including the crown, pushers, crystal. It's important to keep these on your watch! Service replacement parts look ever so-slightly different, and more importantly, are not original. Also avoid Omega at all costs - they are outstanding for servicing modern, current-production pieces. But they will replace your original parts with service replacement parts. Many strong recommendations on this forum are for Al Archer, @Archer , for very skilled, experienced, and sympathetic vintage servicing.

14. g-boac Jan 7, 2017

Hello Tom - see my photos immediately above - I believe @JSlons hand and dial lume to be original (based solely on extrapolating from the photos). One more point regarding my lume - the hands and dial still glow, and the glow matches uniformly. At night, you can clearly see the dial and hands glowing faintly, uniformly, and steadily throughout the night, and if you deliberately excite the lume with a bright light, the hands and dial will glow brightly but briefly (and again, uniformly). I will be interested to see the movement number of this Ed White once the OP gets her into service.

15. JSlon Jan 7, 2017

Thank you for your thoughts! The hands glow just as you described yours. You've got a gorgeous watch right there too!

16. JSlon Jan 7, 2017

Does anyone have any suggestions whenever I send it off, to what I should dictate to have done besides cleaning and what not? Any buffing or anything?

17. Davidt Jan 7, 2017

I generally ask for a full movement service and ultrasonic clean of the case.

No work to dial, bezel, hands or any other cosmetic parts and no polishing to the case. I also tend to replace the pushers if it is to be worn frequently, but leave the crown if it's original.

tyrantlizardrex, mden and JSlon like this.
  18. JSlon Jan 7, 2017

Noted! Thanks!

19. mden Jan 8, 2017

Great looking watch and heirloom. Awesome to have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JSlon likes this.
  20. Seasow Jan 31, 2017

As a newbie poster and 145.022-78 owner, is removing crystal scratches w/ Polywatch generally considered OK? My watch has not yet been serviced, but the crystal has been polished (very carefully).

Also, any vintage Speedmaster watchmaker recommendations in the NYC area?

Full disclosure, I'm a watchmaking student at present, but I'm a long way off from servicing my own or anyone else's Speedmaster!

Thanks