Forums Latest Members
  1. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 27, 2015

I have recently finished a 613 movement .I now we talked about it before . No oil on the brake spring . But is still stutter ? anything else that can be the problem ? This is only a picture of the watch without the right crystal . That is incoming .
    DSC03824.JPG

2. mac_omega May 27, 2015

Most likely the friction spring for the center second damaged...

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 27, 2015

How can you see if it's damaged ? And can i buy a new ? Better fix it before i put the lid on . Friction spring it was not brake spring as i wrote .

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2015

As you know, this set-up is quite different from the 55X and 56X movements, so the spring is intended to lift the sweep seconds pinion up, and hold it in the jewel:

[​IMG]

If these are damaged, it's not from pressing hands on without protecting the spring like on the other movements I mentioned above. If damaged it was likely through careless handling of the parts during service. Damage on these is not as common, so although it could be damage that requires a replacement, that's not the case in most instances. You don't give full information about the watch, so it's hard to give you any really specific help here. I am assuming you have good amplitude without the sweep pinion, spring, and cock in place. If so, what is the amplitude drop when you install these pieces?

If there is little to no drop, then it's possible that the spring just needs to have more tension pushing the pinion up into the jewel. It could also be a slight misalignment at the very tip of the spring, so the spring is riding too much on the teeth of the pinion (too far from the center), and this is causing it to catch on each tooth as the pinion turns.

So you really need to diagnose this step by step. If you do find you need a new spring, they are available (at least from Omega, so you would have to ask your supplier), and the part number is 72206001255.

Cheers, Al

Giff2577 and rogart like this.
  5. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 27, 2015

Thanks Acher
    I think i now the answer now ? I put it on top of the center second not under to lift it . Will fix that immediatly . Hope i didn't damage it ? . Everyday is a lesson learned . I was a month since i worked on it . Have waited for a new mainsprings . So i just forgot and worked to fast .
    Thanks Everybody :)

6. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 27, 2015

I do remember it now. :) If you are careless the centre second is flying away over the desk and in to orbit .
    I stick my head in the sand and feeling ashamed :eek: Have bent the friction spring back a little .Hope it's working Otherwise i will have to look for a new spring .Doing nothing more with it tonight . BTW movement is working nice with high amplitude .

Edited May 27, 2015
  7. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 28, 2015

Bought a new spring just to be on the safe side .

8. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 29, 2015

New spring mounted . No more stutter . Happy that i took the decision to replace the spring .

Archer likes this.
  9. ChrisN May 29, 2015

If it's any consolation, you're not the only one to put these springs on the wrong side. I had a watch that stuttered (a 354 or 501) and when I serviced it, I noticed that someone had installed the spring on the wrong side of the gear. Mistakes happen.

rogart likes this.
  10. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 29, 2015

Not me :). Never worked a 354 or a 501.

ChrisN likes this.