Forums Latest Members
  1. timjohn Jan 30, 2015

Hi,

Just got given this by my father-in-law. I'm more of a UG kind of collector and know very little about Breitlings, but a quick skate through the internet suggests it might be a gold-capped 809 with a 24-hour dial. It has the twin-plane logo, with Geneve and Cosmonaute below, and Navitimer below the hands. The photos aren't great, but it looks like it has been relumed some time ago and that the tritium has faded to black. All my watch tools are on a ship en route from Asia to Australia, so unfortunately I can't open the back.

Not so interested in price -- it isn't for sale -- but any other information anyone can give would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

tim
    Breitling Navitimer 2.jpg Breitling Navitimer 1.jpg Breitling Navitimer back.jpg

2. marturx Jan 31, 2015

Looks like a mid/ late 60ies model. It's a serial inside the caseback that will tell. Relumed I think not. The condition of the watch looks to be very good, it will clean up nicely. Is the bracelet Breitling too? Cool in that case. They were usually sold with JB Champion bracelet. The watch is clearly connected to the space program, hence the name and the 24 hour display which is practical in space, where it's no day or night :)

Have it cleaned and serviced, and do not polish the case, that would be a great shame on such a great watch.

Wear it in good health, even if the 24h reading will be tricky in the beginning!

timjohn likes this.
  3. timjohn Jan 31, 2015

Hi Marturx, many thanks for that. The bracelet isn't branded, so probably not. And you're right about reading the 24 hour display.

Might take a little polywatch to the crystal, but rather like the patina that years in a drawer have given to the case. Will post movement shots when I get my tools back.

4. tyrantlizardrex Feb 16, 2015

timjohn likes this.
  5. ryanbk Feb 16, 2015

timjohn likes this.