Forums Latest Members

6 month old Moonwatch for NEW FOIS?

1. bruin20 Mar 12, 2019

Hey guys. Brand new here with a question on what I should do.

I purchased a Moonwatch on a whim last august while traveling in Europe. Really enjoyed wearing it for the first month or so but quickly realized it was a bit too big and a bit too tall for my taste.

I have the opportunity to sell it for my exact cost which also happens to be the price of a brand new FOIS from a local dealer. Keep in mind I have never even sized the bracelet and have never been a bracelet guy so the lack of one with the FOIS isn't a big deal.

My only other watch is a 36mm birth year Explorer 1 which I got for my 25th birthday and would prefer to save for special occasions instead of wear into the ground as I managed to get it in pretty good condition.

fskywalker likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 13, 2019

What's the question?

If you don't like the watch and can get your money out of it, do it.

You can pick up many other watches cheap if you want to keep the Explorer safe.

fskywalker and WatchShopping like this.
  3. Theluglife Mar 13, 2019

I think the question is what exactly don't you like about the moonwatch and have you tried on the FOIS at the local dealer? The bezel/dial on the FOIS is the same as on the moonwatch, the 2mm reduction in size comes only from the removal of the crown guards from the crown side of the moonwatch's case.

If you can get your money back from the moonwatch then maybe grab the cash and hold on to it till you come across something you really like?

4. fskywalker Mar 13, 2019

The FOIS is just 1mm shorter lug to lug and about the same height as the regular speedmaster you own, so as said above you should try one so you can compare side by side to see if it resolves the "a bit too big and a bit too tall for my taste"

pianomankd likes this.
  5. ras47 Mar 13, 2019

If a smaller size is a priority, look into a Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50. With a diameter of 38mm it's significantly smaller than a Speedy Pro.

SpeedyReduced.jpg

This is a pic of a Speedmaster Reduced on a 7" wrist (not mine). Looks like they're selling for right around the $2000 mark, maybe a bit below. https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=3510.50

WatchShopping and fskywalker like this.
  6. flqt-9000 Mar 13, 2019

Take the FOIS!

fskywalker likes this.
  7. S.H. Mar 13, 2019

My 2 cents on the matter as I recently tried a FOIS:
    - it is visually slightly smaller but seems as tall
    - the dial is much better made, no question about it
    - the sapphire on the FOIS, though :cautious: . Might be a deal breaker

Side by side, the Moonwatch feels cheaper than the FOIS imho. Mainly because of the dial. Try them both and don't rush things.

fskywalker likes this.
  8. bruin20 Mar 13, 2019

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think if my buddy thats interested in the moonwatch texts me and wants to pull the trigger then I will just sell it to him and take my time looking around. Really like the 2018 diver so maybe if they release a midsize of it at some point I could pick that up. Announcements should be just around the corner anyway.

WatchShopping and fskywalker like this.
  9. fskywalker Mar 13, 2019

Guess then you are indecided if want another chronograph...... The Seamaster line is great as well, but not sure if they will release a mid size model, so if you want mid size might have to look for a caliber 2500 series SMPc (non waved dial) or a caliber 1109/1120 SMP with the wave dial.

10. hbombkid Mar 14, 2019

No brainer get what you want especially with no lost money!!!

WatchShopping likes this.
  11. stevec14 Mar 14, 2019

I’d do so. I much prefer the FOIS due to the size. I know they are the same dial size, but it does wear significantly smaller to me.

That said, if you are unsure, unload the speedy and sit tight until you know.