Forums Latest Members

6-Inch Wrist: Speedmaster Pro or Submariner?

1. Watchnoob Feb 13, 2015

Hi everyone! As the title suggests, I am considering purchasing either an Omega Speedmaster Pro (3570 or the newer 311 model) or a Rolex Submariner (newer ceramic model). The problem is that I have wrists that measure 6 inches in diameter. I am trying to figure out which, if either, of the two watches will fit without looking absolutely ridiculous on me. I understand that the best thing to do is to go to an AD and try on both and see for myself; however, that is not an option at the moment. I would have considered the Speedmaster Reduced, but that has long been discontinued and I doubt there is any old new stock anywhere.

Is there anyone on here that has 6-inch wrists, not 6.5 or 7 since I’ve seen those pictures already and those seem ok, with either of these watches? If so, could you please provide me with your thoughts, input and possibly wrist shots?

I’ve been obsessing, and this is no understatement, over these two watches for some time now and have come to the conclusion that if either of these doesn’t work out then I probably won’t buy a wristwatch altogether since I’m not crazy for any other watch there.

Thank you!

thelinendial likes this.
  2. proximal Feb 13, 2015

There is a lot of variability within a 6-inch wrist. It could be thinner and be flatter on top where the watch sits, etc. With a smaller wrist, that variability becomes even more important.

A good dimension to look is the the lug-to-lug distance of the watches and compare that to the width of the top surface of your wrist. The Speedmaster Pro is 48 mm. Not sure exactly what the equivalent on the Submariner is (though someone here will know).

TopGone likes this.
  3. Maximus84 Feb 13, 2015

Wrist is between 6-6.25" and I did wonder if the Speedy Pro would look a bit big. I think it's maybe a bit big to be a perfect fit, but doesn't look too bad imho.
    image.jpg image.jpg

I did try on a Rolex Sub last week (sorry, no pics of that) and it did fit ok, but I wasn't grabbed by the style of watch. I think the Sub would fit better with quite flat wrists, the Speedy more rounded. Just my opinion, of course.

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2015

Go to stores, boutiques, etc, and try on as many different watches as you can to get a sense of what feels and looks right to you. It's hard to generalize otherwise.

5. ConElPueblo Feb 13, 2015

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 13, 2015

You've done the research, narrowed it down, tried them on. And still can't decide. Try this....

1. Get a coin
    2. Assign heads to the Omega Speedmaster and tails to the Rolex Submariner
    3. Flip the coin

If you're happy with the outcome, buy that one. If you find yourself disappointed with the outcome, buy the other.

Please note that your wrist size has nothing to do with the decision.

KurtBiz, dr1v3thru, Pasbru and 3 others like this.
  7. proximal Feb 13, 2015

Isn't the size difference between the FOIS and Speedmaster Pro just due to the presence of the crown guard? It wouldn't fit a small wrist any better if that was the case.

8. puddlep1rate Feb 13, 2015

The Speedy would be fine on your wrist.

9. NT931 Feb 13, 2015

Well I have 6.3" wrists, and both the 42mm Speedy and the 40mm Sub-C wear the same, as the Sub-C wears larger. I suspect you might find little difference, but as others have said, trying them out may be the best.

Alternatively, what about a vintage/older Sub, or the FOIS? Both wear nicely for a slim wrist.

10. Watchnoob Feb 14, 2015

I think the Speedmaster fits just about perfect on your wrist. In other words, I wouldn't think twice about it if I saw you wearing it! Thanks for the pictures as well.

Maximus84 likes this.
  11. Watchnoob Feb 14, 2015

I was thinking the same thing here. If the distance between the lugs is the same on both of these watches then the smaller case doesn't really solve the problem, although I do appreciate your suggestion nonetheless! The thing with smaller wrists is having the lugs hanging off the edges of one's wrists, which looks funny I think.

thelinendial likes this.
  12. Watchnoob Feb 14, 2015

I have been looking more into the FOIS as based on someone's suggestion here. But I don't know if the distance between the lugs is any smaller than on the Speedmaster Pro since I am mostly concerned about lugs hanging off my wrists? I am also wondering if the same aftermarket straps that people use on their Pros would fit on the FOIS (the popular black leather strap, with the additional omega deployment clasp)? The brown leather strap that comes with the FOIS doesn't really do it for me, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

13. Watchnoob Feb 14, 2015

I was looking more into the Sub C and from what I've found it appears that this should be a smaller watch, but maybe I'm wrong since I don't really know anything about watches. The case is 40 mm as stated on the Rolex website and I think the distance between the lugs is just slightly smaller than the Pro. From what I've read the Pro is 48 mm from lug to lug, whereas the Sub has about 47 or something. The Pro also has a 44 mm case (but really 42 mm if you exclude the crown), which again is smaller than the Sub. Visually, however, the Sub does look bigger due to the enlarged dials and the thicker bezel, but I think its an optical illusion though.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

This is the best advice and worth repeating.

Buying a watch is only a superficially rational process.

Your emotional reaction to the watch will end up dictating whether you keep it and how much you wear it.

NT931 and Traveler like this.
  15. Traveler Feb 14, 2015

Darlinboy and Spikispikester are 100% right. It's not worth worrying about the technicals in this detail. But for what it's worth I have 6.25 inch wrists, so close to yours - I own both the models you are considering and never give their size a second thought when I wear them...

16. ConElPueblo Feb 14, 2015

Absolutely the same lug distance, but it does wear smaller than a regular Speedmaster. Straps aren't an issue, the 19mm between the lugs allow for 20mm straps to be fitted - I haven't got a single 19mm strap, and I do just fine :)

17. iLuveketchup Feb 14, 2015

If your going to wear either on a bracelet, the Sub will wear smaller. The Speedy end links protrude a mm or two beyond the end of the lugs. This is where the bracelet connects. The Sub has shorter end links and are curved down. The bracelet will start just about underneath the end link and closer to the lugs. In addition, the Speedy has a taller case back. So it won't hug your wrist as well as a Sub.

Visually, the Speedy will look (and is) bigger due to the smaller bezel.

If you like the Sub and have a small wrist, the ceramic version will fit better than the previous aluminum bezel Sub due to the bracelet having more adjustments.

Lastly, the Speedy looks fantastic on leather straps. This will get you the best fit. Subs look more at home on a bracelet.

18. bernarddevos Feb 15, 2015

Look for a Rolex Submariner 16800 or an eighties 5513. Fantastic watches that looks great on a small wrist, still affordable, perfect as daily beater and best off all will only increase in value the coming years. You buy one, wear it for a couple years and sell it with a 1000 euros profit. The ceramic Sub? Sorry but why would you do that? Just my opinion.
    Best regards,
    Bernard
    DSC_0272.JPG DSC_0054.JPG

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. JG808 Feb 16, 2015

I think the Speedmaster wears a bit smaller than other 42mm watches so you shouldn't have a problem given your wrist size. Both are great so you will make a great choice either way you go.

20. iLuveketchup Feb 16, 2015

Odd I have the very opposite view... Wears large for a 42mm due to the straight non/curved lugs and tall case back.