Forums Latest Members
  1. oscargamer Mar 11, 2018

Seller openly states it's a redial. Also states recently serviced. Asking AU$700.
    I see it's not 'T Swiss Made T" even with the dots - so a poor redial then.
    Warning flag to me is that it's in India. The home of the frankenwatch.
    Would welcome any and all comments.
    Thanks

upload_2018-3-11_17-20-20.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-20-41.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-20-58.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-21-13.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-21-31.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-21-50.png

upload_2018-3-11_17-22-7.png

2. ChrisN Mar 11, 2018

Movement looks terrible and is probably a money pit. I wouldn't go anywhere near it just based on that and forgetting the redial and dubious case ref.

Here's a 552 (which is the same except for the date facility) and this is how these movements should look with even colours and an attractive sheen.
    om552.png
    Regards, Chris

Caliber561 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2018

$695 over priced

Ok here is the thing anything Redialed is out and definitely anything with a movement like that is out. So that's two strikes and we will throw India in the mix and that's 3 strikes

You will pick something like that with a original dial and a movement like above for
    about what this person is asking.

Take your time.

Here is a manual here after less than 2 minutes looking for you.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...st-dial-1969-cal-601-ref-135-070-585-€.72168/

Just PM the seller as your under 200 posts.
    I guess your a fellow Aussie

4. Edward53 Mar 11, 2018

Why does this so often happen on here? Novice collector posts a watch saying X looks off, Y looks distinctly dodgy and Z looks very dodgy indeed. But I like the look of it so will you guys help me come up with a reason to buy this pile of shit?

5. oscargamer Mar 11, 2018

I don't like the look of it I'm not looking for reasons to buy it I am new and still trying to learn what are good and bad things to look for and how to weigh up the pros and cons. But thanks for being so judgemental.

Thanks to those that have added value to my request for info.

Frunkinator likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2018

Suck it up buttercup. You’re on the internet so buy some thicker skin.

efauser likes this.
  7. oscargamer Mar 11, 2018

Even more thanks for your assistance. Most enlightening.

8. chipsotoole Mar 12, 2018

Good luck with the hunt Oscar. I was a newbie here too. Still feel I am. There seems to be a worrying element of unnecessary aggro appearing in some the OF forums of late. I suspect its the constant repetition of advice to newbies (that goes unheeded) that's getting to some folk. "Suck it up Buttercup" comments however are really not usually par for the course.
    Frankenwatches, redials, and Bombay specials are constantly debated. Certainly to some of the more passionate voices here they are all a complete and utter no go. I really try to avoid them myself but mistakes can and do happen.... As a member said to me a while back when I was getting a few pelters on a snap purchase: "your wrist your watch". Don't let anyone come between you and your particular object of desire. Just be aware that it may have zero resale value and as you get deeper into the world of collecting (as so many do) it may start to bug you when you look at it!!
    We'd all like to purchase watches with a movement in condition like the ChrisN pic, but he reality is they are often a reflection of the asking price. In your case there are just too many elements wrong.
    A cal. 565 loaded Omega is a great place to start out : it is a bit of a legend. Have a look at the space age 1st generation Omega Cosmics from the mid to late 60's (not the 1940's moonphase ones that went by the same name). IMHO They represent great value for money and you can find a good piece for around what your budget is.
    India, Ukraine, and south America are really best generally avoided. Seriously!

9. oscargamer Mar 12, 2018

Thanks chipsotoole.
    I couldn't care less about stupid comments from people I don't know or care about. It would be great if I had been born with a huge knowledge about vintage Omegas, like ulackfocus obviously was. Perhaps s/he forgets that we all learn from a starting position of zero knowledge.
    In my job, I am required to have a very very thick skin, so being called names is really a) pathetic b) stupid c) shows ignorance to others. I'm guessing mr/s focus is all three.
    I am trying to find a late 60's automatic Seamaster, with date, and know that the 500 series are a) gorgeous b) great time pieces. I am trying to not buy a franken or a piece of shit.
    I am now reconsidering vintage Omegas, as it appears that a number of people, who are Omega-philes, are also arseholes and I am not a fan of arseholes.

10. chipsotoole Mar 12, 2018

oh dear,
    You're not really helping yourself either. I was trying to lend a sympathetic ear and make a suggestion not start a bun fight. We really don't need any kind of baiting and trolling. and you need helpful advice , guidance and suggestions. As you can see from the number of postings from the above members they are/were the people to provide that. Anyways Good luck with your hunt. You have my tuppence worth of purchase ideas.

Bartok24 likes this.
  11. oscargamer Mar 12, 2018

I am neither starting a bun fight, or baiting or trolling. I have a large knowledge base in other areas and try and help on other online forums with users that are new top that topic.
    I too get frustrated when I answer the same question time after time, but I try and remember that even though it is the 50th time that I have answered that question, it is usually the first time that the other person has asked it.
    I get that noobs are sometimes irritating but the very fact they ask the same stuff 'over and over and over'. But to be told to 'suck it up buttercup' is rude, unhelpful and shows ignorance.
    Like I said, i care not for lackingfocus, and it is perfectly OK for me to react to his/her rude comment.

12. ChrisN Mar 12, 2018

I hope I'm not included in your comment there as I was trying to show you what to aim for, as was Chips and Standy. Anyway, if your budget is in the range of AU$700 (€500), then there are watches for sale here that would be a good buy. Have a look in the private sales forum and you might see something. If the watch is not serviced, allow a further few hundred to get it there.

Regards, Chris

13. oscargamer Mar 12, 2018

Thanks and no. My comments were aimed squarely at ulackfocus.

Your comment is helpful, in that a movement that appears to be poorly maintained, could well be a money pit. And if that 552 is yours, I LIKE IT !

GuiltyBoomerang and chipsotoole like this.
  14. ChrisN Mar 12, 2018

Not mine, I'm afraid:(, it is a customer's watch but there are plenty out there with nice looking movements. That's no guarantee it will be running correctly but, it's a nice thing to have. Here's one of mine in a blue dialled SM60 diver.
    sm60.jpg

I would go over the last month of private sales ads on here and see if there is anything that appeals. If a watch has lots of likes from experienced members then that's also a good sign. I don't know if you would pay import duty/VAT in Australia if buying from abroad but, people like @JimInOz might be able to advise.

Cheers, Chris

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2018

Lots of watches have landed on my doorstep from overseas and never once has there been any issue with taxes/duties/VAT/GST.

Same with other things I've bought from overseas where people in Europe/Israel/USA have been taxed for identical items. Mine just arrive, no questions asked.

I think our Customs organisation is more interested in stopping shipments of drugs and guns, rather than trying to gouge a few bucks from the general populace where the enforcement cost is higher than the income.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 12, 2018

He won’t care, water off a squirrels back. That really wasn’t particularly rude by past standards.

FWIW Indian or not, that isn’t the worst redial I have ever seen. I wouldn’t buy it but I can see why someone would. It does seem odd though that they left the movement looking (and possibly running) like crap.

ps the lack of the ‘T’ marks doesn’t mean redial or fake, plenty of Omega’s with tritium dials lack them. It’s complicated.

17. GuiltyBoomerang Mar 12, 2018

Don't forget that AU imports up to $1000AUD in value (including shipping) are exempt from taxes/duties.

Some sellers may be happy to under declare a watch, and some will just do it out of habit, while others prefer to declare the full value. Whatever the reason, buy the seller, and do check out the private sales forum.

Looneytoons and ChrisN like this.
  18. ulackfocus Mar 12, 2018

Should I have used “snowflake” instead of “buttercup”? :D

19. oscargamer Mar 13, 2018

Same same. You're still a rude prick.

20. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2018

Yes. Yes he is.

Some posters believe that a high post count and previous contributions to the site provides a carte blanche for being rude, sadly.

FWIW, a 565 is a part of the "55X series", not the "500 series". The latter are earlier, from the late fifties to early sixties while the 55X are the next step in the evolution and feature some improvements. Lovely movements - I am partial to the 551, which is chronometer-rated and without date. You're on the money re. India. I'd filter all those watches from my search, if I was you...

Jerseyhammer likes this.