Forums Latest Members
  1. Green Piper Jun 17, 2014

I've posted pics in the News/Members forum as I am a new member: http://omegaforums.net/threads/new-member-with-first-omega-watch.14003/

Just noticed that the rotor and winding part of my 561 (from 1965) says 17 jewels. I thought that the 561s were 24 jewels. Could the rotor have been changed out?

If the 561 should have a different rotor, where could I get the correct one from? AND would it be worth changing out?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. michael e Still learning. Jun 17, 2014

Does it also say OXG on the balance bridge? If so the watch could be a American watch with 17 jewels as opposed to 24.
    Thanks Mick

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2014

The bridge is incorrect, there were no 17-jewel 561s.

Probably not worth changing.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2014

To fix this you would need a new upper and lower bridge for the automatic. The remainder of the parts can stay the same, including the rotor.

Cheers, Al

5. Green Piper Jun 17, 2014

Al,

Do you have the parts required? If so, I may need to join your waiting list!!!

Charlie

6. michael e Still learning. Jun 17, 2014

EDIT. Ignore me, I don't know what I am talking about. ::facepalm2::

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2014

I don't have them but Omega still makes them, so I can order them - not cheap though! Upper and lower bridges are $204 each...

8. Green Piper Jun 17, 2014

Al,

Do the lack of jewels on the upper and lower bridges negatively affect the quality of the escapement? Also, if I am serious about owning a 561 Connie, then surely I should cough-up the dough to return to as close to original as possible - shouldn't I?

Charlie

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2014

The quality of the escapement? No, it has nothing to do with the escapement. The difference between the 17 jewel version and the 24 jewel version is all in the automatic winding system. There are 7 jewels in the 24 version between the upper and lower automatic winding bridge, so those added to the 17 in the base movement give you 24.

Certainly there is no doubt that the jewels are more robust than the bushings are - it's rare that I have to replace the jewels, but replacing bushings is much more likely.

The others here can speak to relative values here better than I can, but I think when people have already suggested it's not worth spending the money to fix this, they are suggesting that you would not get the money back from investing in the right parts if you were to sell the watch down the road.

I would suggest keeping an eye out for a donor movement to take the upper and lower automatic bridges from - this would also give you spares for the remainder of the movement, and would likely be far less than buying just those 2 parts from Omega.

Cheers, Al