Forums Latest Members
  1. Mightyfrank Dec 15, 2018

Hi all. Newbie on here. I’ve inherited the photo’d watch, and recently had it serviced by Omega Vintage, bought a new strap and Omega buckle, second hand box, and had an extract ordered - confirming its age and model details. However as a novice, I’m intreged by the fact it has a numbered dial. Can anyone shed any light on this aspect as google reveals nothing, and any thoughts on value? No plan to sell as I plan to enjoy it, but would be useful to understand more of the history and value. Thank you.

137E3874-EE93-40B1-B6AA-46C423F51B26.jpeg F78CC1F9-497D-450B-80D7-2EA045598B60.jpeg A4ADCBDF-A608-457D-9047-56EE107F5A51.jpeg
    Dan S, Noddyman and Hamish02 like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 15, 2018

This fully numbered dial was popular in the UK in the mid-1960’s:

[​IMG]

I guess they sent some to the Caribbean islands as well.

Interesting that Omega calls the case “gold plated”. It is far from that. It is gold capped. The gold is anywhere from 5-10 times the thickness of plating and was not electro-plated, but pressure bonded.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//GoldCap.pdf

Looks like Omega did a nice job on the restoration.
    gatorcpa

3. Noddyman Dec 15, 2018

Welcome @Mightyfrank, nice entrance.

These Arabic dials do come up occasionally, they were predominantly sold in the UK from what I have read.
    It looks fantastic but I dread to think what Omega charged for the service.
    Allowing for extract and box I would expect this to fetch anywhere between £1k - £1.2k.

If your interested in educating yourself further you should read this excellent blog by Desmond Guilfoyle http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Also you should get a few results searching the forum for Arabic Constellations.

Enjoy and wear in good health.

Mightyfrank likes this.
  4. Mightyfrank Dec 15, 2018

Excellent, thank you! £400 odd for the service..... don’t tell my wife! They gave me a bag of bits that they changed/found on their workshop floor, so oddly found like money well spent at the time!

Best wishes.

5. Mightyfrank Dec 15, 2018

That’s great, thank you for replying.

6. Noddyman Dec 15, 2018

That’s not bad, looking at the reject parts I expected a lot more.

Mightyfrank likes this.
  7. seekingseaquest Dec 15, 2018

That’s not the correct crown, right? I see it’s similar to the one they replaced though.

8. Mightyfrank Dec 15, 2018

No idea to be honest. But Omega put the new one on, so I’d hope it was.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 15, 2018

The thin 10-sided crowns haven’t been made by Omega for many years and are no longer available. In such cases, Omega will use the closest match that will fit the watch.
    gatorcpa

Deafboy and Mightyfrank like this.