Forums Latest Members
  1. albertob Aug 26, 2017

Dears,

I recently bought on an auction an omega 535.011, cal 630 from 1964 for my GF.
    28 mm, gold plated.

Watch needs some additional love, meaning that I want to change the crystal, find the original buckle and find the original box.
    I know, this might be no Biggie for the majority of you, but is my first time and I will keep this tread up-to-date with my findings. If you want to give me advices on where to find those parts (except eBay, obviously) you are more than welcome.

I have 3 months. In November it will be her bday and I will give the watch to her.

So far the movement keeps the time, but I cannot open the case with my caseopener... Is too small. Should I get a smaller one or try to open it with those balls?

IMG_20170826_094804.jpg IMG_20170826_094810.jpg IMG_20170826_094818.jpg
  2. ChrisN Aug 26, 2017

Great thought. I've bought, made and brought back to life a few watches for my wife and they are a very thoughtful gift (in my opinion, anyway).

Crystal should be available from various suppliers. Are you in Europe?

Cheers, Chris

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. albertob Aug 26, 2017

Hi Chris, yes I'm in EU.
    any special recommendations?

Thanks!

4. ChrisN Aug 26, 2017

Try Cousins. Will need to check tomorrow after fewer beers but, should be this. Not easy to install unless you have the tools though.
    Screenshot_2017-08-26-20-40-28.png
    Cheers, Chris

5. ChrisN Aug 26, 2017

I know, 27 quid for a bit of plastic, plus VAT...

Lucasssssss and albertob like this.
  6. albertob Aug 26, 2017

It's totally ok.
    But I should get tools to work on 28mm.
    At the moment my case opener doesn't allow me to open the case...

7. albertob Aug 27, 2017

Charged 16h ago.
    Gained some seconds. Certina with quartz as comparison.

IMG_0188.JPG
  8. ChrisN Aug 27, 2017

So, first is to confirm the case ref by removing the back. If it is 535.(0)011 then that crystal above is shown for it and it has the yellow tension ring for a gold coloured case.

You can remove the back with one of those balls or similar items unless it is on really tight and then you'll need your watchmaker. Just fitting these tension ring crystals is not that easy so, I would not recommend trying that unless you've done it before.

If it is running fine, then it's up to you whether you decide to service it but, running fine is no indication of the state of the movement. I'm sure you know that.:thumbsup: The problem is that the oil oil, dirt and dust combine to make a very efficient grinding paste and will just wear the pivots out as well as other parts. All that means is when it does eventually get serviced, you may be looking at parts, which are not cheap. Like I say, up to you.

To show what I mean, here is a centre wheel on a cal 351 that I have just completed. The one on the left is new and the one on the right is the original. You can see the pivot is grooved and ruined.

351 cw.jpg

I suspect that the box, buckle etc will only be available from eBay. Can't help with those, sorry.

Here's one of the watches I did for my wife, some years ago (in the middle, obviously), and it's one of her favourites. Tiny 684 automatic in it. Bit different to her dress watches.

Three.jpg

Good luck, Chris

9. georgeszaslavsky Aug 27, 2017

definitely a nice gift, get it serviced this would be my only recommandation

albertob likes this.
  10. albertob Aug 27, 2017

That collection for the wife is superb!
    I was thinking about a service, just movement.
    Thegglass is original with the omega logo on the center, some hair scratches but you need look for them.
    Thanks for the hints, I will look for buckle and box and get is serviced soon. Keep you posted guys. ;)

11. albertob Aug 27, 2017

Ps. First watch I gave to her one year ago was this certina. Quartz, I cleaned a bit the movement, there was some moisture inside. New battery and back to Life :)

IMG_20170827_165626.jpg
    ChrisN likes this.
  12. ChrisN Aug 27, 2017

We'll, the outer two are mine:D but I thought she could do with a diver as that is her favourite colour. It's never been near water though::facepalm1::

I wrote a thread here back when it was a hobby. It's a frankenwatch but looks brilliant.

Cheers, Chris

albertob likes this.
  13. albertob Aug 27, 2017

Wow! I checked the post and is marvellous!
    But I guess you are not an amateur :)
    I was wondering if replacing the spring by myself is feasible, but after having looked at your post... I don't think so :(

14. ChrisN Aug 28, 2017

It's true that I am not a hobbyist anymore and am a watchmaker but, I was doing it as a hobby back then. You still try to do the best job you can but at that point, I wasn't thinking to move into the business. I used to enjoy working on classic cars but fancied a hobby that wasn't done in a freezing cold garage in winter :thumbsdown: but, still had an engineering slant. Now my hobby has turned into a business but I still enjoy it.

There are some very good people on here who have watchmaking as a hobby and you'll see posts by @Stewart H , @JimInOz , @François Pépin , @micampe and others.

If you're interested in trying some watchmaking, do not start with that tiny watch. Far too difficult and very few watchmakers enjoy working on ladies calibres. I can let you know what calibre I'd start with and what books I'd pick up, if it's of interest.

Cheers, Chris

François Pépin likes this.
  15. Seaborg Aug 28, 2017

The crown seems to be super huge as respect to the watch proportions, is it original from the watch?

Cheers.

16. ChrisN Aug 28, 2017

Are you talking about my red Seamaster? This is not an original crown as I recollect but of very similar dimensions. These are known as "big crown" models and here is my blue man's watch which does have the correct Omega crown.
    DSC_5932.JPG
    For the 566.0024 (my wife's watch) which is the equivalent in a woman's size, I had issues with the Omega crown so, fitted a generic. It should be about that size.

Cheers, Chris

17. albertob Aug 28, 2017

Sure! That would be amazing!!
    I have also a cal 613 at home which will require a service soon, maybe that is something I can use to start.

Looking forward to hearing more :)

18. ChrisN Aug 28, 2017

I wouldn't start with the 613 either. It takes a long time to become sufficiently proficient to work on something that has that sort of value. You will damage parts and break things... Small steps are best.

For me, best bet is to buy De Carle as shown below. You can get this on Kindle (not sure if the cover is always the same but the title is) so it's instantaneous. Then read chapters 3 and 4 to see if this appeals. You might look at it and think it's not for you.
    de carle.jpg
    If it does appeal, go back and read chapters 1 and 2 and order some basic tools plus a chinese 6497 clone, about €100 all in. These calibres are big and the 6497/6498 are what watchmaking schools start with. To just try this, you need a few screwdrivers, a pair of tweezers and a movement holder (De Carle holds the movement in his hand...). You can then take nearly all this movement apart and try and reassemble it without cleaning or oiling. I suspect this is where most people walk away and gain more respect for their watchmaker:D:D

This is a clone and you may as well look at Cousins as they are the big european suppliers. They've had a lot of my money.
    6497.jpg
    We can move to PM if you want more information:thumbsup:

And before I forget, one of the screws is backwards on this calibre (it unscrews clockwise). If you do get one and watch what happens when you wind it, it will be clear which one it is because the winding movement would try to undo a normal screw... that'll give you confidence that you know what's going on.:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

albertob likes this.
  19. lievain Aug 28, 2017

What @ChrisN said. These Chinese copy's are the best to start watchmaking. They are big and can handle some un-experienced hands, but you should still be careful with the pallets, and escape wheel pinions. Broke these on my first try!

oh, and don't forget to power down the mainspring!

20. albertob Aug 29, 2017

How caring are new joiners... fantastic!