Forums Latest Members
  1. GordanDaniel Jan 16, 2021

Hello all,

I just sent my seamaster GMT in for a service as the hour hand began to get stuck at 1030 pm, which i have come to learn was fairly common.

I got word that it need a basic servicing, an hour wheel, a reverse wheel, gaskets and the water resistance test.

$639 CAD plus tax.

Does this seem reasonable ?

I typically use a well regarded gentleman who does flat rate services including parts ,@$349 plus tax. I went to him first and he said that the movement was incredibly complicated and that he would rather not take it on. I was surprised.

Photo for attention
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.25.01 AM.png

2. rcb Jan 16, 2021

I am the owner of a Great White (2538.20.00). In 2015, I bought the watch used, and decided to have Omega service it. I believe I paid about the same amount you're being quoted (in USD). I'm glad I did, as the watch has now had to go back twice for movement repairs, under warranty.

One reason I like the Great White is I am a fan of "true", or "traveler" GMT watches. The Cal. 1128 gets its traveler-GMT function by fairly heavily modifying a base ETA 2892 (Archer or someone else with more knowledge please weigh in). I'm guessing that is the reason your local repair person would rather not work on it.

I think it is worth it to have Omega service the watch for $639 CAD + tax.

3. GordanDaniel Jan 16, 2021

Not an omega service,
    independent watch maker, though omega parts.
    iv heard horror stories about having omega do servicing, thought it best to go independent.

4. GordanDaniel Jan 16, 2021

I also have a great white, i am wearing it right now :)

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2021

Brilliant practical watch ! Personally, this is one I'm pleased I let Omega service. It developed the sticking hand problem after a routine service, so had to go back & they were super careful to get it right at no extra cost.

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. GordanDaniel Jan 16, 2021

what was your cost for the sticking hand issue through omega ?

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2021

Nothing - I'd already paid them for a routine service. They regarded it as an error in the servicing and dealt with it.

vintage hab likes this.
  8. Donn Chambers Jan 17, 2021

The price and parts to replace are all quite reasonable. Replacing the hour wheel and reversing wheel will fix the problem with the sticking hour hand — Omega recommends replacing them each service on this watch. Sounds like your watchmaker knows what he is doing.

rcb likes this.