Forums Latest Members
  1. jomega Jan 3, 2013

I have come across my late Father's Omega Seamaster and have a few questions. I believe this watch is late 50's vintage. My Father bought it new before he was married in 1960 - I can recall the watch back to my early childhood, I was born in 1961. The watch says Omega Automatic Seamaster.

The watch began to run as soon as it was gently shaken and I have been wearing (and enjoying) it now for about a month. The watch keeps time but I sense that I should have it serviced before I wear it. What's the forum experts opinion on having ths watch restored to a newer condition? Is that a no no? Any feed back would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 3, 2013

Firstly, don't wear it any more until it has been serviced. If it hasn't been serviced in ages, letting it run could be doing serious damage to the gears.

Restoring is a broad term. Replacing crown, crystal and strap is all 100% acceptable. Refurbishing the dial significantly reduces its appeal to collectors. But as an heirloom, how you value it is what is more important. I think I'd prefer to have the watch as similar as possible as how my grandfather had it. But that is just personal opinion.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 3, 2013

I should add - great watch. I love that dial layout

4. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

I love this watch! ::thumbsup!:: Is it cal 344? If so I am getting one soon. Probably one of the nicest seamaster cases IMO! :) Oh, and just get it cleaned up..Don't play with the dial on it I reckon as it looks great as it is!

5. jomega Feb 4, 2013

Just got the watch back from a cleaning and overhaul. The watch was taken apart, cleaned and lubed. The rate accuracy, reserve power and water resistance/pressure was checked. It got a new crystal and a mild case polish, the dial was mildly cleaned but not restored. It recieved a clean bill of health. I found out its a Cal 344 movement and
    serial# C2576-4. I ascertained from the Omega database that it's a 1953 model. A pic of the cleanup:
    [​IMG]

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 4, 2013

very nice ! enjoy in good health and keep it in the family. kind regards. achim

7. jomega Feb 4, 2013

Thanks. Very happy and I will be wearing with pride!

8. apollo XI Feb 5, 2013

Beautifull watch and good service.

Congrats.

Giuseppe.