Forums Latest Members
  1. Gazman Aug 3, 2014

Hi, I found this old omega in a box of old watches, and was wondering how original it was. I haven't been able to fine one with the exact same dial as it. It's obviously a little beaten up and missing the second hand, but it runs well and keeps time, so if it's worth giving some attention to, I might get it restored.

Thanks for your help. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Tritium Aug 3, 2014

3. Gazman Aug 3, 2014

Thanks for the reply Tritium :) I did manage to find that page in my searches. There must be many of different versions of the watch getting around. It will be interesting to see what people think.

4. John R Smith Aug 3, 2014

The movement serial number dates it to1953, it is a calibre 354 'bumper' which should be serviceable by any good independent watchmaker. The case is the venerable ref 2577 in the gold-capped version with a screw-in stainless back. The case is rather beaten-up and with some wear to the lugs, difficult to be sure from these pictures. The bezel seems a bit moth-eaten, too. So far so commonplace, but the dial looks to be original and is the desirable black guilloche (waffle) variation, so that is a bonus. The other thing I notice is that the hands may be wrong as the minute hand appears slightly too long (?). And of course it will need a new crown, caseback gasket, etc.

So at the moment the dial is looking to be a lot better than the case . . .

5. Gazman Aug 3, 2014

I'm glad the dial appears original. It did concern me that it seemed to be in great shape, but the rest was obviously well worn. I will look into replacement hands, and crown, and maybe find out my options for cleaning up the case - it is quite worn on the top lugs and bezel.