Forums Latest Members

50's oversized big numbers seen one before?

1. Thesnozzer Oct 3, 2018

Hi, for some reason I've always been a bit 'brand loyal' to Rolex, it's certainly not for their timekeeping!
    Decided I want to start a collection of older stuff after I was gifted this 1952 (?) Omega based on the movement number. The case number is 2181-4. Trouble is I can't see another one like it anywhere!
    I have two questions to members here who clearly know infinitely more than me. Firstly, it only runs (accurately) for about 12 hours. Is it right that it needs to be wound twice a day or does it perhaps require a service?
    Secondly, I guess I should get it insured - probably not for much (!) - but may idea on value?
    Many thanks
    Andy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo Oct 3, 2018

Hi Andy :)

Your watch has been redialed some time in the past, so it isn't really a collector's piece - the hands have been replaced too. In regards to insurance, I am sure that an evaluation firm would come to a very different value than most collectors here. I believe that the power reserve on these ought to be around, what, 48 hours? A bit less probably, but surely not less than a day.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 3, 2018

As above, the dial while attractive is most likely not what the watch left the factory with. Sounds like a broken mainspring, easy enough fix.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 3, 2018

Surely this deserves some kind of 'Understatement of the Year' award... :D

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.