Forums Latest Members
  1. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Hi all,

I recently joined the forum as I have been given an old Omega from the early 50's (I believe) I have no idea when it comes to vintage watches apart from loving the style and history, I'm keen to build a small collection of old watches in the future.

I would love to know some history or even the model of the watch I have been given, maybe some of you knowledgeable people have some information for me.

The serial number on the inside is - 14481843

Thanks in advance

Ben

image.jpg
  2. redpcar Dec 26, 2015

Serial number on the movement puts it around 1954. Give us a shot of the inside case back.

3. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Just took a few, should have taken them sooner so I apologise

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 26, 2015

5. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Thanks very much efauser.

It seems to be as it left the factory then, bar the strap that I will change for an omega one and the patina it now has due to age and use.

Is this a common watch or something you don't see too often?

6. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

Can you give us clearer pics for then dial. A close up of the Omega lettering would be good as well.

7. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Let me know if it's not clear enough

image.jpg
  8. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the dial has been redialled and badly at that. Look at the Omega lettering particularly the G and the A. There appears to be no swiss made or swiss on the dial, could be a bad camera angle. The markers look very odd also some strange paint work going on there.

9. Canuck Dec 26, 2015

Bad news, only to a point! My hobby car has been painted twice, and I don't care a rat's a_ _ what others think of it. I love it! That's indeed over all a very nice watch from what I can see. Attended to properly and given the care it deserves, and it will perform well for you for years, and give you untold pleasure! How does a pristine watch become "un-pristine"? When someone uses it! That's what they were meant for!

hugo, arkstfan, Mrben and 3 others like this.
  10. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I'm not too bothered if it has patina and isn't in factory condition, it's been worn as Canuck said and not kept in a box all its life. The internals seem to be all original and it keeps time extremely well so not too bad for a 60 year old thing.

I have seen a fair few ck2800 models and they don't all seem to have 'Swiss made' on them

Edited Dec 26, 2015
    PatrickJ likes this.
  11. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

Also it was given to Mrben so it may have some sentimental value. The movement looks ok and no one will notice the dial much, so enjoy the watch. It is a nice gift I would not mind it if someone gave me a watch.

12. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Thanks Patrick

Are nos dials or second hand ones in fairly good condition impossible to track down for a decent price?

I'm not going to go crazy but I have purchased a new original omega brown strap with buckle for a good price so would consider a dial too if it was cheap enough I guess

PatrickJ likes this.
  13. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

No worries. Look, a replacement dial original can be found but it is a very, very long shot. It takes a lot of knowledge and a watchmaker from the forum to check it over with a loupe for you. But without that knowledge it is going to be very hard to source it in the first place. I have a 1969 Omega Geneve, I did homework got my watchmaker who is on the forum to check dial with a loupe as I had an option to return the watch when it was initially purchased . All was well, then months later he went to service it. The back of the dial which has two feet to hold the movement one had previously fallen off. With all the homework and best will in the world shit happens. Now I could of wasted hour after hour looking for a dial replacement but life is to short, the dial back is now attached by a special strip that attaches the dial back to the movement and one foot of the two remains as well. As my watchmaker said to me after servicing the watch " no one will ever know, it is a nice watch". These are very old things we are messing about with here and we can't expect perfection, enjoy your watch don't bother looking for something that will be near impossible to locate.

mozartman and Mrben like this.
  14. Mrben Dec 26, 2015

Words of wisdom indeed, you're totally right Patrick. Thanks again to all that have provided feedback to my post

PatrickJ likes this.
  15. Canuck Dec 26, 2015

Believe me, you are better off staying with the dial you have! I have two Omega parts watches with dials that would likely fit yours. But yours is in vastly better condition than either of these! Don't sweat the small stuff!

hugo and PatrickJ like this.
  16. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

Take Canuk's advice and enjoy your watch as it is.

efauser and mozartman like this.
  17. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

Mrben, if I may make a suggestion. I started with two Omega vintages (some mistakes made along the way) I now have one vintage left, a brand new speedy moonwatch from October 2015 and am planning within the next three years to buy a brand new Rolex Submariner. Most of the members own more than one watch on the Omega and Rolex forum. So get a coffee and some biscuits relax, go on the forum start your homework and in the future you can buy a second Omega when you are ready with correct everything and still enjoy the watch you have now.

efauser and Mrben like this.
  18. Canuck Dec 26, 2015

But then, don't ask for opinions as to re-dial or not! Swiss watch companies manufactured different dials for different markets. Not ALL dials were available in ALL markets. At one time, independent Omega AGENTS in countries where Omega was sold, chose what they felt was right for their particular market. In Canada for example, 60 years ago, HATCH & Co. distributed Omega in Canada. So not all dials or models made by Omega (or other makers) were available in ALL markets! So on occasion, original dials that were perhaps unfamiliar get tagged as replacements, or after market! All that is important is that you enjoy it!

Josh36912, Mouse_at_Large and Mrben like this.
  19. hugo Dec 27, 2015

Love this advice!! It will bring happiness to your life

20. Josh36912 Dec 27, 2015

Some seriously useful advice being shared here! I haven't been on the forum in months, kicking myself for what I've probably missed.
    Enjoy the watch Mrben and welcome [emoji108]