Forums Latest Members

50/60s? Tank Cased Gold Longines, ID help needed

1. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 18, 2018

I am out of my area of expertise here so am asking for help from those that understand more about these than I do. A chap I know and see rarely showed me this last weekend because he knew I am a watch buff and asked for my help but to be honest I was a bit stumped. It is obviously a Longines dress watch in solid 14K with an interesting 4 way pointed bevelled crystal (which makes it very hard to photograph the dial). It is on an interesting half expanding half leather faced bracelet too. He has owned it since being given it by his Canadian godfather in I think the late 1950s or early 60s but doesn't know much about it beyond that. I tried to pop the back off but couldn't and didn't want to force it without the correct tools. My guess was a local US or Canadian case. Interestingly while watching the film 'The Untouchables' last night, I noticed Costner/Ness wearing a watch with a similar crystal, though I realise this adds no real provenance at all! It is pretty small to modern tastes, a typical size for a contemporary JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank at about 28-30mm wide. I did say I would pass on anything I could find so would appreciate any constructive help.

Anyhoo any and all info is appreciated, pics:

IMG_1507.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1510.jpg

Edited Aug 18, 2018
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 18, 2018

Looks like a President Roosevelt, CA 1950, caliber 9L.

Fialetti, McKinley and padders like this.
  3. Fialetti Aug 18, 2018

Yes. Here's the drawing of one from an early '50s catalogue at this site.

[​IMG]

Different subdial. But from what I have seen the dials on similar watches did sometimes vary a bit from the catalogue illustrations.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 19, 2018

Thanks guys, it looks like you have nailed it with the Roosevelt suggestion, I will pass on the info to the owner.