Forums Latest Members

5 Mistakes I Made While Collecting Speedmaster Watches

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 16, 2020

[​IMG]
    I’ve been collecting Speedmaster watches for over 20 years. The first one I bought was in 1999, a Speedmaster Professional 145.012-67. Things were very different back then. There were far fewer resources available. Doing your homework was hard. It took a lot more legwork than it does today. When I started out, I used the […]

Visit 5 Mistakes I Made While Collecting Speedmaster Watches to read the full article.

jeppehh, JDUBJ, Petervl and 13 others like this.
  2. kelsey Jun 16, 2020

Great article.
    This week marks a year since I bought my first speedie a FOIS, looking at it as I type, it’s my daily and I still love it the same as the day I bought it.
    I’ve already bought two more Apollo 8 DS, and the Moonshine Gold 50th....so I’m now a speedy collector with zero regret and no mistakes.
    Guess it’s harder when you buy vintage etc but I’ll happily stick to new from my local OB.

Also think I’ve picked a sweet spot as Omega has really lifted its game in speedy limited editions of late!

OmeGez, Dedlock and Robert-Jan like this.
  3. w@tcher Jun 16, 2020

Nice Article!
    I'm willing to raise my Speedy collection soon...

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 16, 2020

Staying away from vintage definitely helps prevent expensive mistakes :) Congrats on your anniversary with the FOiS! It is one of those watches I missed but need to add to the collection at some point.

kelsey likes this.
  5. Martin_J_N Jun 16, 2020

Great read thanks for posting.

Love my Speedy, it is a rare 2019 vintage, with lots of adventures still to come, would I add another, maybe, only time will tell.

Tobimat2000 and Robert-Jan like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 16, 2020

In the 1980s & 1990s, it sounds like there was more talk about Speedmaster watches in aviation & spaceflight circles than in the watchworld :D
    Staying away from vintage ?
    Everybody has his/her favorites ... wouldn't like to own a reference which I couldn't remember because it looks like an international telephone N°

CJpickup57 likes this.
  7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 16, 2020

Thank you for sharing! The speedy has been my dream watch for some time and I am picking up my first one tomorrow! I have long thought that it t would finalize my watch collection... but it’s stuff like those that makes me think it will just add fuel to the fire lol!

Robert-Jan and kelsey like this.
  8. RARJ Jun 16, 2020

I think my "mistake" was not anticipating how much I was going to love my Speedy nor did I anticipate the additional cost of adding as many strap options as possible. A very slippery slope indeed!

Robert-Jan and StudebakerHawk like this.
  9. Dedlock Jun 16, 2020

Great article with sage advice, this was my fave quote

Tobimat2000 and Robert-Jan like this.
  10. Capt Cave Man Jun 16, 2020

Ha! I've spent a large proportion of my free time today browsing for something to store my straps in as even though I am a late arrival to the Speedmaster adventure I'm suffering from strap envy.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  11. RARJ Jun 16, 2020

Heed the warnings, SLIPPERY SLOPES are ahead!
    straps.jpg
    Luckily pretty much all of these will also fit the 43mm Aqua Terra I have my eyes on (these are 21mm straps for the 44.25 co-axial Moonwatch). If I had to do this again for 20mm straps I'd be bankrupt!

Robert-Jan and Capt Cave Man like this.
  12. jsducote Jun 16, 2020

If I may, I think the tips apply to collecting anything, be it other watches, guitars, art, cameras, or yes, Speedmasters.
    Number 5 also particularly resonates with me. Life's too short to spend your time trying to obtain what other people value.

kelsey and Robert-Jan like this.
  13. EricCsN Jun 16, 2020

my mistakes are many: not picking the X33 gen 2 (hard to find now, and you can forget about mint), and in missing out on the many anniversary through indecisions is another

Robert-Jan likes this.
  14. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 17, 2020

Don't quote answers out of context ;-)

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 17, 2020

I had one. They have big drawbacks. The battery can be shot in as soon as 18 months and are not straight forward to change. They are literally a pure tool watch and best suited to military users who used to get free life long servicing

EricCsN and Robert-Jan like this.
  16. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 17, 2020

Yes :) I am still bummed I missed out on the 45th anniversary Apollo 11 model in titanium & Sedna gold. I ordered one (too late) via Omega in my country and they promised me one, but ... still waiting ;-). I said no to a number of them offered to me as I wanted to wait on the official channel. Well, my contacts improved since then and it was a wise lesson learned. Now I just order one right away if I see something I really like.

The Gen 2 is one high on the list here as well. I gave up on the mint condition part, but I do want a complete set.

EricCsN likes this.
  17. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 17, 2020

Congratulations!!

18. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 17, 2020

Nothing wrong with a fresh Speedy! I also have a standard Moonwatch that I bought new (in 2013) and witnessed cool holidays, travels, and the birth of my daughter.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  19. Tobimat2000 Jun 17, 2020

As RJ wrote, starting a collection of Speedys is both easy and difficult. Having owned a 1957 Replica for which I bought an extra 1171 braclet and a Japan Racing Dial version (wich turned out to be a marriage later - lessons learned about full history and matching numbers) years ago, I let those go for Rolex watches. To be honest, I do regret it. So I started all over again last year, when I bought a new classic 1871 Moonwatch, which was followed by a Apollo 17 45th Anniversary LE, which was followed by a X-33 Gen 1 3 weeks ago. So where is the red line? Not to be clear right now, except those models did attract me. But for sure there will be others to follow, a vintage piece maybe as well as a FOIS or a Panda, or, or, or...

Dedlock likes this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 17, 2020

I found a mint gen2 full set B&P hang tags for a good price just last week :whistling: Has some scratches on the bracelet, but thats ok, as I will most likey add some...

EricCsN likes this.