Forums Latest Members

4 out of 10 adults don't have $400 to cover an emergency

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 2, 2019

New survey concerning Americans. 40% of adults don't have $400 to cover an emergency without borrowing money or selling something.

If an individual in this 40% group had a valuable watch (say $15K to $20k) they happened(found or inherited) upon one way or another would you advise them to sell? This money would get them out of debt and solve being broke.

If you advised them to sell, what avenue would you guide them to? They know nothing about watches.

This is a hypothetical, let us not get real excited about reasoning behind the question.

Edited Jan 2, 2019
  2. TDBK Jan 2, 2019

I've noticed in one thread over the last few days that many members have encouraged someone who inherited a valuable watch not to sell it because it's a memory of the person who left it to them. This is a good thought and a fair opinion, but it's also useful to recognize that it comes from a position of privilege from a group of people who can afford to have such an expensive hobby; for many people, they're much better off with cash than a nice watch, and I'd like to think that their benefactor might agree. I'm not saying anyone is wrong to encourage someone to retain a memorable artifact, but something to think about, and some novices will be best served by practical advice on the most efficient way to convert a windfall watch into money.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 2, 2019

I'm a little skeptical about the survey in question, but if true, I would advise them to sell a watch that is worth 15 to 20 thousand dollars. They certainly need money more than a watch if they can't even come up with $400. As to what avenue to sell the watch, I would assist them by posting it here on OF.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 2, 2019

I would not advise them to sell, but I would try to inform them they have something very valuable that could help them out a lot if they were to sell. It is a personal decision for them to make about whether or not to sell; chances are they have other things they could sell instead to raise funds if needed.

5. Evitzee Jan 2, 2019

I too question these sorts of surveys when these people are all running around with expensive cell phones and driving nice cars. Anyway, it's one thing to inherit granddad's 1940 Hamilton gold filled watch and another to inherit a very expensive watch. If they have no appreciation for the value of the watch it really makes no sense to keep it for sentimental sake, better off to liquidate and redeploy the money into something more productive. You can always buy something with the proceeds to remember the original owner. They would be fortunate if they had someone that knew the value of the watch and could steer them to get the best price for it. Whether you go the auction, on line listing or something else would depend on the watch and its marketability. I've helped a few people liquidate these sorts of things, that is far better than going down to the local jeweler or pawn shop and getting 10 cents on the dollar.

6. TDBK Jan 2, 2019

Based on some work I did associated with the criminal justice system, let me say that I totally believe that 40% of people can't come up with $400 (in this case, without borrowing/financing/pawning; with "cash or equivalent"). The report from the Federal Reserve is here if you want to read it. The number of Americans who can't beg or borrow or otherwise come up with $500 even if the alternative is sitting in jail is astounding.

7. JesterP Jan 2, 2019

The watch in this story to me is irrelevant and not the problem. First of all I would pull myself out of the state that is my financial status before selling anything. Then give yourself a good talking to and save at least a grand or so. Then when I had some appreciation of what money was and what it meant to be without, I would likely sell if I had no interest and invest the funds safely for my family's sake. Most people would sell straight away and not learn a damn thing and end up ba k where they started In twelve months time with the added guilt that grandads watch had been spent on shit.

8. Tik-Tok of Oz Jan 2, 2019

My question would be is the situation that left the hypothetical individual broke is a single one time unfortunate circumstance? Or, part of a deeper behavior or personal pattern which will not be permanently solved by selling a valuable watch? I’d say sell only if it’s the former. If the latter, keep the watch because that person might still be in debt, or back in debt a year from now, and be out a nice heirloom.

Plus they’d not know what time it was :D

My opinion only. Might be wrong. Probably am. I just think money is more tied to behavior and emotions than most of us care to admit.

Atalien2005, drhex, superfly and 3 others like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 2, 2019

The confluence of the two events you mentioned are highly unlikely to occur together.

There is nothing more important that health. Sell everything you own for that purpose. Importance goes down from there.

If you wanted to really help someone in this type of predicament, you could help them get the maximum amount for their rare watch. There are too many people who would try to take advantage of the situation.
    gatorcpa

10. Tik-Tok of Oz Jan 2, 2019

Well said!!!! Spreading good will to others and helping our fellow humans seems all too rare sometimes.

marco and superfly like this.
  11. superfly Jan 2, 2019

I would like to think that I would use my desire to keep the gifted watch as motivation to get myself into a better financial position.

I bet it happens every single day, thousands of times. Maybe not always with watches, but with something similarly gifted - cars, antique furniture, silver place settings, fine china, houses/property, etc. I'd guess the watch situation specifically is really quite common. Especially nowadays since many younger people themselves say they consider adulthood to start at age 30! Meaning it's more likely that younger adults 18-30 are in that 40% mentioned by the OP, and they're old enough to be receiving valuable gifts from their parents. Like watches passed down.

Amyway, the whole discussion makes me feel quite privileged, and helps put into perspective the financial realities and difficulties many people face daily.

murph and JesterP like this.
  12. melanieux Jan 2, 2019

Just a side note:
    I think this is true.. but I also think that this past decade has been a little crazy. I have friends who have been in the same apartment here in So Cal for the past 10+ years, and at the same job for the past 10+ years.. and suddenly they are finding that in 2018 (now 2019, I guess) they can no longer afford their rent. And these are ppl who are living rather sparingly (no new car, no expensive habits, etc.) - it's just that the rent has been increasing by the hundreds per year, and their salary has not. :(

But back to the original question.. I wonder if you were able to follow up in a year or so with someone who was originally interested in selling, but after a discussion in the forum decided to repair and keep the watch.. would they have turned around and sold it a little while later? After the excitement of the discovery wore off..? I'd be curious.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 2, 2019

Live life with a remote theme.

Never leave the house if i dont have $400 in my wallet.
    Never a ATM in wherethefuckarewe

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 2, 2019

And when you get to wherethefuckarewe, just get your wad of cash out and pay for the petrol/diesel.

Whatever you do............don't do as city slicker in a brand new Sahara did.
    When he asked how much petrol was and got the answer he raised his eyebrows and said "you're joking!"
    The lady at the pump was quite polite, she shut and locked the nozzle and told him to fuck off.

Lesson: Always carry cash and don't annoy locals in wherethefuckarewe. It's a very long drive to the next petrol station.

(I love thread drift :D)

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 2, 2019

Damn, hit reply by mistake

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 3, 2019

Statistics that I’ve already seen make me believe this. Now they could do 400 on credit but not in cash.

17. base615 Jan 3, 2019

On the contrary, I'm surprised it's that low.

Doc Savage, Syrte and Yuriae like this.
  18. Yuriae Jan 3, 2019

Yeah, me too.

Sick world we live in... Where it has become more important to own the latest iPhone and MacBook along with the last Nike air max and BMW 330i than being able to pay for an unexpected medical bill!

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2019

Golden Rule...I think that applies to yard sales as well.

20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 3, 2019

don't get me going......my wife's niece and her wonder boyfriend......have boats and motorcycles and other bullshit items. Call us for money to take their kid doctor or the dog to vet...…..or a few hundred to make ends meet...….that spicket has been turned off

UncleBuck, marco, Professor and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.