Forums Latest Members

3D printed Speedmaster case opener.

1. Declinedesign May 30, 2019

I designed and printed a case back opener and posted it to thingiverse. I thought if anyone here has access to a 3D printer they might want to try it.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3661865

IMG_1364.jpeg IMG_1365.jpeg
    Deafboy, 321Only, stahlmotte and 26 others like this.
  2. dabbispade May 30, 2019

Okay that is cool!

3. wsfarrell May 30, 2019

Way cool!

4. BenBagbag May 30, 2019

So so so cool! I've gotta ask my friend with a 3D printer to make this for me. I see you had the top 20% set to "high infill," did you find that to be strong enough? What material did you use and do you think a slip would cause noob marks?
    :thumbsup:

5. OmegaFan503 May 31, 2019

I don't have access to a 3D printer but this is impressive!

6. SG90 May 31, 2019

Love this idea, nice job!

7. Enzo May 31, 2019

Very cool :cool:, thank you.
    I did the same with the Heuer tool no 033 for Monaco's as the originals are almost impossible to get

8. raison_ May 31, 2019

i must say that's pretty cool!

9. khanmu May 31, 2019

Very cool - what print type and printer did you you use? We have a client project piloting titanium powder EBM for orthopaedic joints... it’s great to see practical domestic/home uses! I’m curious to see if it can ever be used for producing out of production watch parts..

10. jsducote May 31, 2019

While there are cheaper options out there, Shapeways isn't a total rip-off and is VERY easy to work with. Free to create an account, upload models, and explore prices on various materials.

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 31, 2019

Does it work?

Spacefruit, Swissmister and BenBagbag like this.
  12. jsducote May 31, 2019

And speaking of models & design, Tinkercad is a free, online design tool whose ease of use more than makes up for (IMHO) its lack of complexity.

13. Swissmister May 31, 2019

This would be a nice tool IF it is strong enough to open a very tightly torqued case back. I would fear the edges would start to become rounded after a few tough uses then eventually would not be of any use. What material other than metal could withstand so much force on such tiny little squares? I don't doubt it would be ok on backs that are not too tight, but I can open those with a rubber ball.

14. jsducote Jun 1, 2019

If that happens and you already own a 3D printer, it looks like you can just bin it and print a new one for a dollar's worth of material.

Spacefruit and BlackTalon like this.
  15. Swissmister Jun 1, 2019

Or you buy one of Pahawi's made of brass and use it forever. It's a reasonable question.

BlueBoy likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 1, 2019

What is the issue here? He created a file he is freely sharing for those who would like to make one with a 3d printer. You 'fear' the edges will round, and he responded if that happens you can print another very cheaply.

The pahawi opener is great -- I have one myself. But I surely would not put down someone who is offering a free setup file to print an opener. The resin/ print material used is up to the person who wants to print one. There are different grades of materials, including powdered metals -- it is up to the person what they want to use as the print medium.

17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 1, 2019

The material used is up to the person with the printer. You asked a question, he answered it, and then you basically said buy Pahawi's opener, versus ever reprinting a plastic one that might only cost someone a buck or two.. Come on, how the heck do you expect one to interpret your meaning?

18. wsfarrell Jun 1, 2019

Indeed. I think it's called "thread-crapping."

larryganz likes this.
  19. Swissmister Jun 1, 2019

Et tu, Larry? ;)
    It is a nice offer at no cost, but my point was the brass opener might prove to be less frustration in the end. Most don’t own 3D printers, so there would be cost to have one made. My concern is reasonable. My question was not rude or mean. Have a great night. I will. :)

20. larryganz The cable guy Jun 2, 2019

Sorry, wasn't trying to bust your chops with the "like". But maybe wording it like, "Nice. Good job and thanks for the info. For those who don't have a 3D printer you can buy one of Pahawi's made of brass and use it forever." would have been an option.