Forums Latest Members

39mm 1960s chronograph case design : cheaper alternatives to Heuer, with the same case

1. john_coburg Feb 27, 2021

Evening all,
    I have become enthused by the 'first generation' Heuer Autavias, particularly the 3646, powered by Valjoux 92s, but the prices, for a decent-quality example, range from steep to vertical. I think the case is made by Huguenin Freres of Omega fame, (althogh no HF in the casebacks) and if i'm not very much mistaken, was used in various watches of lesser (ergo more affordable) brands...for example the Yema 'Daytona', pictured. (caseback also unmarked)

Is that right, or is it just a 'generic' lookalike? It looks extremely familiar to me (even down to ridge on the outside of the bezel and the font on the insert), albeit the example below has had a good polish. I have seen other examples too, but can't recall them. If it is indeed the same (HF?) case, would anyone have a list of watches that used that same 39mm case, which i can hopefully use to source a Autavia-lookalike, for altogether more reasonable coin...?

Heuer 3646: heuer1.JPG heuer2.JPG heuer3.JPG Yema 9312:
    yema1.JPG yema2.JPG yema3.JPG

Edited Feb 28, 2021
  2. TexOmega Feb 27, 2021

Head over to On The Dash and check out Poor Man's Heuer's section.

They are the Heuer/Look-alikes experts.

allwoundup, Observer and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. john_coburg Feb 28, 2021

Thank you. I took a look (and presume you mean this section: http://www.onthedash.com/related-brands/) but to me those aren't look-alikes...they actually ARE Heuer watches, just white-labelled/branded differently. Andf

With the Yema, i am talking about other watches using the same case (by the same casemaker), but assembled and branded by a rival.

Another example would be Squale making cases for Heuer, Doxa, Blancpain, and a host of other (far less salubrious) brands. So one can get a Fifty Fathoms-looking watch in the same case, but by a lesser brand, and hence commensurately cheaper.

4. LRX_12 Feb 28, 2021

@john_coburg interesting! Do you have examples of « poor man’s fifty fathoms »

5. john_coburg Feb 28, 2021

I'm pretty sure these are the same cases, for example. (i might be wrong)

Blancpain:
    blancpain.JPG blancpain2.JPG

Blandford:
    squale.JPG
    squale2.JPG squale3.JPG

6. smoothsecondscom Feb 28, 2021

That yema seems like a good pick for a poor man's heuer

7. john_coburg Feb 28, 2021

Exactly the same case? Or just a 'me-too' copy?

8. smoothsecondscom Feb 28, 2021

Not sure, i'd say the same but i'm no expert. But frankly, does it matter? If you're looking for a vintage chronograph which is similair to the Heuer, the Yema is a great pick right? It's not a heuer anyway, so should it matter if it has the same case?
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. The Yema looks great and if that's the type of watch you love, go for it.

9. john_coburg Feb 28, 2021

That's fair. There's just something appealing about knowing it is effectively the 'same watch' (same case, same movement, even the hands and hour markers look the same), whereas if it just 'looks similar', then that has slightly different feeling - to me, anyway. It's a bit like saying the new Zenith looks like a Daytona - it does, but it's not the same.

smoothsecondscom likes this.
  10. tropicalpatina Feb 28, 2021

Wylet Vetta made some nice compressor chronographs as did Mathey Tissot

11. john_coburg Feb 28, 2021

Thank you; with the same cases as the Heuer? could you show me a few examples please?

12. smoothsecondscom Feb 28, 2021

I understand, in the end it's all about what you want. If you don't want a similair looking watch, don't buy one. But I think you might be ''overrating'' a case manufacturer here :)

JimJupiter and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Feb 28, 2021

I’ve been down this rabbit hole with divers. The Squale example isn’t lost on me- but a Squale is not a Blancpain and they only used the Squale case briefly.
    You will find all kinds of bread crumbs on the web about who made what parts and what was a generic labels XYZ. You will drive yourself insane hunting down catalogs, obscure advertisements, vendor price sheets from 1967...literally- you will become obsessive.

In the end you will end up with 12 chronographs that all have a fleeting resemblance to a Heuer- but they aren’t a Heuer....and that will drive you nuts.

If you enjoy the style of mid-60’s chronographs (as I do), then buy what you find appealing and enjoy them for what they are. If you are trying to find a Heuer in sheep’s clothing....it will never be a Heuer, and you know that, and you will never be satiated.

Save your money and wait for the Heuer you want to be within grasp.

14. john_coburg Mar 1, 2021

Rarely a truer word spoken. Thanks Jw.