Forums Latest Members
  1. kronophile Nov 26, 2014

A friend of mine just purchased a 90's 3950.50 which has a Tritium dial with a clearly visible patina. The hands however do not appear to be uniform with the dial. Is this common for these models?

photo-3.JPG
  2. TLIGuy Nov 27, 2014

Do you know the service history? I had the same model once and the hands were replaced during service which would be standard practice if done by Omega or an Omega service provider. To my eye, this is what it appears to have happen causing the differences. You could get some light on the dial and take it into a dark room and see if there is a noticeable difference in the lume between the dial and the hands.

3. mozambique Nov 27, 2014

Its a bit hard to see from the photo, but there does seem to be some patina on the chrono and hour hand. It is reported that the patina on the hands and dials can vary i.e. may not always look the same; but how you separate out possible hand replacement during service being responsible for differences in patina muddies things a bit. If the hands were replaced by Omega then the dial probably would have been replaced too as they seem to be very keen on replacing parts. Based on this, to me, the patina on the hands looks comparable to the dial, although better photos would help.