Forums Latest Members

3861 Sapphire Sandwich vs. First Omega in Space?

1. tuan2195 Jun 14, 2021

Hi all,

I used to own a previous generation Speedmaster on a bracelet. I felt like it was too big for my tiny 6 inch wrist, so I ended up replacing it with a FOIS. Together with the Uncle Seiko flat link bracelet, it makes a combo that I absolutely love on my wrist.

I was initially dismissive of the 3861, but now I've read in a few places that it wears significantly smaller than the previous generation, thanks to the reduced thickness and lug-to-lug width. According to number I found, those numbers are even smaller than those of the FIOS (13.18mm vs. 14mm for thickness, and 47mm vs 48mm for lug to lug). Together with the new bracelet that tapers strongly and no longer overhang and it seems like the 3861 will fit nicely on my wrist.

Unfortunately, the comparisons I've been able to find are all between the new and the old Speedmaster Pro and not the FOIS. Has anyone compared the fit and feel of the 3861 vs. FIOS? Any experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. amfalconer Jun 14, 2021

There was a thread recently about someone who bought a FOIS, and chopped it in for a 3861 speedmaster, think the takeaway was that the 3861 was a better for and felt thinner.

3. mjb Jun 14, 2021

Depending on how I measure it, my wrist is somewhere between 6 and 6.5" in diameter, and rather flat. I find that the Saph Sammich is the smallest-wearing 42mm I have ever owned. I can't compare to the other one, as it's the only one that I own or have tried on recently.

20201013_080020.jpg

filmluvr88 likes this.
  4. filmluvr88 Jun 14, 2021

I agree. I have a similar sized wrist (6.3" in most cases) and wearing it at my boutique really surprised me since it wore so much smaller mostly cause of the awesome lug-to-lug width (~47 mm).