Forums Latest Members

3861 movement broken? *Update: Read First Post*

1. tooch May 19, 2021

Hey guys, reporting in with another one here. My 8 day old Speedmaster Professional 3861 has this problem. It started doing it today, I press the chronometer start button and it runs for between 1-4 seconds, and then stops, and then the whole watch stops. It often makes a loud tick for a few seconds as its stopping. It doesn't fault every time but I was able to fault it at least 6-7 times today.

Extremely unimpressed and it's completely ruined my first Omega purchasing experience. It's off for warranty repair now, I really hope it doesn't take as long as I'm expecting it to.

2. Eightball76 May 20, 2021

Sorry to hear that buddy, I believe its more common to those who use the chronometer often. Were you a "heavy" user? once you receive it back it will be fine. After trying two watches I just gave up. I have a Tudor BB58 now and really like it. Perhaps I'll pick another Speedy up in a couple of years once things settle down. I have the 1861 to keep me company in the meantime.

3. tooch May 20, 2021

I wouldn't say I used the chronometer heavily, but in the 8 days I've had it, I've probably run the chronometer each day for a few seconds or maximum a few minutes, for timing cooking or just playing around with it. I'll certainly be running it a lot more when I get it back from repair/replacement, as if it fails again I want to know straight away!

I'll report back here with whatever happens. The AD are doing their best to handle this for me, and the Omega brand manager is on the case for me now apparently.

4. Rex May 30, 2021

Update on my watch. Picked it up from Omega Boutique in London this afternoon. Fabulous service. It’s only when something goes wrong that you can really judge how much they care for you as a customer. First rate service and very happy. Took 4-5 weeks in total. Put it on a distressed leather strap and looks fab.

Edited to add better picture

7202511B-CEB6-4735-A1FB-6D8A7D6D41C9.jpeg
    Edited May 31, 2021
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2021

Did they return any parts to you? If so, can you post photos of them?

Cheers, Al

6. Eightball76 May 30, 2021

thats great news, did they say what the problem was?

7. Rex May 30, 2021

No parts returned and was just advised that it had a full service. I made a point of asking what the problem was but the lady was not informed of what it was other then a full service. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

8. tooch Jun 1, 2021

Got my replacement Speedy Pro 3861 today. Omega were wanting to repair my faulty one, but I requested a new one as it was only 8 days old and I didn't feel like waiting for a repair. They agreed without much of an argument, and were quite concerned (after my long email to them) with making sure I was happy with my purchase and wanted to make it right. Credit to Omega's brand manager and the Monard's store manager for sorting it out for me. Lets hope this one does not suffer any problems!

9. Stripey Jun 1, 2021

I’m glad about that - no way would I be letting them repair an 8 day old watch that had basically stopped working. But I know not every jurisdiction backs up the consumer as well as the UK.

tooch likes this.
  10. tooch Jun 1, 2021

Thanks, yes it seemed like the correct resolution. Australia’s consumer laws are pretty strict too, but there’s no real enforcement of them a lot of the time, so you often have to just be firm with the retailer/distributor and tell them what you want, and that you’re aware of your rights. Thankfully the AD and Omega themselves were very helpful and wanted to do their best for me so it didn’t become much of an argument :)

Stripey likes this.
  11. notchrishansen Jun 1, 2021

I was able to replicate the stoppage 100% but it happened on the 60th hour when I was testing a full wind on the power reserve… is this because the power was down to end? If I reset the chronograph and shook the watch it would start ticking again.

once I did another full wind, the chrono worked normally.

12. tooch Jun 1, 2021

In my case the watch was fully wound. It was the first thing I checked as I thought that maybe low power reserve was the cause.

13. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jun 6, 2021

Hi,

in my case it was an issue with unusual wearing of the center wheel and due to the glas caseback it was possible for me to see that the balance amplitude/frequenz was very low before it stops completely. I am using the Chronograph very very often. I like to see the Chronograph running synchron to the normal time (Start at 12:00:00 or 06:00:00) and it is running for days and weeks... 90% of the wrist time...
    From the 1861 I have the info in my mind that this will not increase wearing... ?!?

BR
    Hans

like here:
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 6, 2021
    MTROIS likes this.
  14. MTROIS Jun 6, 2021

I must admit that this news is a bit concerning... as it seems that this is an issue just waiting to happen and so the question is whether it will happen under warranty (if you use the chrono often)... or not (with service on your dime!). :(

Edited Jun 6, 2021
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2021

This is not related to the use of the chronograph. Initially the technical guides were updated to show increased lubrication at the centre wheel and main plate. Just recently it was updated to show that a new bushing in the main plate will be used, so they did end up changing a part to resolve this.

There isn’t a mass production movement out there that hasn’t had some sort of bug that needed to be resolved, so this isn’t a big deal really...

Cheers, Al

KstateSkier, Pun, JPE.88305 and 4 others like this.
  16. Caliber561 Jun 6, 2021

Out of curiosity, by bushing, do you mean they'll be switching back to a bronze bushing like used on the 321-181, rather than a jewel? Or is the bushing just a different type of jeweled bushing?

17. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jun 6, 2021

Thanks for clarification :thumbsup: Now I am able to sleep well again while using the chronograph all day long :cool:

BR
    Hans

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2021

It was never a jewel...so a different bushing.

Caliber561 likes this.
  19. MTROIS Jun 6, 2021

Al, while I fully agree with you about “working bugs out on any new model”, which I learned the hard way when I got my e92M3 in 2008 instead of waiting for a year or so, overall I still feel that this one is a disappointment for a watch of the “caliber” (pun intended!) of the Speedy Pro!

Not only do they not upgrade this movement often (so they really had the time to work on their final protos, or should have taken more time) but given the whole aura surrounding the origins of how this watch came to be selected by NASA, etc etc... In my opinion, there is much less room for something like this to happen. And mind you, it is not like we are discovering this after two or three years after launch... but within the first 12 months, and for some owners, within the first week of ownership!!

And how should the early adopters feel now! Waiting for a band aid fix with added lubrication, or for their watch to be retrofitted with the new bushing?

Overall, quite disappointing IMO.

Edited Jun 6, 2021
    wx_073, nismo, Stripey and 1 other person like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2021

Sure. The problem is that people are not aware that this happens all the time. Parts are upgraded for years and years after the movement was made originally, and often long after the movement goes out of production. Omega has, for example, continued to upgrade the 550, 560, and 750 series movements, even though they haven’t been produced for decades.

If you buy the marketing hype then yes this will seem to go against the “aura” of the watch, but in reality this is very common. These are not life saving medications or vehicles that could kill someone with a fault. These are expensive man trinkets.

If this is upsetting to you, then my advice would be to not be the brand’s beta tester anymore.

Cheers, Al

Fred91, ctpete, KstateSkier and 7 others like this.