Forums Latest Members

3750.50 Speedmaster Chronograph Question

1. edk9987 Jun 7, 2013

I was wondering if it is bad for the movement to have the chronograph hand resting at a different spot than the starting 12oclock spot for extended periods of time (when not in use). (ie start the chronograph, let it run for a few seconds and then stop it and keep the chronograph hand there permanently)

I love looking down at my watch and seeing the omega letter and combination of words but the chronograph hand kind of blocks it! i would love to just keep the chronograph hand stopped somewhere else so its not blocking the words.

2. g-boac Jun 7, 2013

So do I! :) I can't remember the technical rationale, but the short answer is that yes you can do that, and no, you won't hurt the chronograph.

When the chronograph is reset to zero, the reset hammers rest on the cam mechanisms which help hold everything there in position at zero, but that being said, it's no more harmful for your chronograph hands to be at a non-zero position than it is for any other hand on your watch (for example, the hour, minute, or small seconds) hand. In fact, the hour and minute hands by definition are constantly moving - and only exactly at "12" for one second twice each day!

cheers,
    Mark

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2013

When the start/stop button is pushed to start timing, the hammers lift off the cams for the chronograph runner for the seconds, and for the minute counter, and the functions are driven by the movement. When the start/stop button is pushed again, the drive for the chronograph sweep hand (via the coupling yoke) is disengaged, and the brake is applied to the chronograph runner. The only thing holding it in place is now the brake. The minute counter runner is only held in place by the minute counter jumper, and the hour recorder is also held by a brake (this is always the case with the hour recorder, as the hammer on the dial side is only a temporary contact that resets the hand and then swings back out of the way).

This does not do any damage or harm to the watch to leave it this way, but if the watch received a shock it is more likely that the chronograph seconds and minute hands may move...

Cheers, Al

dls75 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2013

I know what you mean, I've done the same thing :)

5. yande Jun 9, 2013

That's a great post Al. One day I may be able to say I understand.more than 5% of it! :) Ta

edk9987, I've even read of some WIS who preset their chronograph second hand every day to record the date. Just a thought.

I'd also recommend posting a pic of your 3570.50, but, in the mean time, here's one of mine..... :)

Omega Speedmaster cropped 3570.50_IMG_4374.jpg

Spy likes this.
  6. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

I love that picture!

yande likes this.
  7. edk9987 Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for all your responses!! here is my speedy:

[​IMG]

ive had it only a week so far and it's everything i hoped itd be! what a beauty

8. edk9987 Jun 10, 2013

9. Vnoxdev May 31, 2019

I really appreciate the explanation, Al and sorry for digging this thread but I have a question regarding when you say "it is more likely that the chronograph seconds and minute hands may move" do you mean that they are moved permanently like they are not going to zero correctly in the future when reset is pressed or is it just they moved and after pressing reset everything is going to be fine? Thanks!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2019

No, not moved permanently...

jankymutt likes this.
  11. mmrols Jun 2, 2019

Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering this as well. Good to know that it's totally ok and doesn't hurt the watch!

12. Gentle Ben Jun 2, 2019

Great idea using the chronograph second hand to record the date!