Forums Latest Members
  1. fergusm Apr 3, 2017

Hi - I have a 3590.50 that to my knowledge has never been serviced.

It's running about 30 seconds fast per day so I was thinking of having someone take a look.

Should I take it to the Omega AD or is the an independent watchmaker in San Francisco that anyone can recommend?

thanks!!

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 3, 2017

If you do a site search SF watchmakers, you should get several names. It's new enough you don't have to worry about Omega screwing up the vintage watch with new parts but a local guy will likely be cheaper.

3. Kmart Apr 3, 2017

PM'd!

4. fergusm Apr 4, 2017

Thanks - Tourneau wanted to send it to their service center in LA but they recommended an independent who tells me that the movement lubrication is dry and needs to be cleaned and lubricated. He also says that they have to change the gasket, crystal and crown on every service to guarantee that moisture stays out.

Does this sound right? I don't really want to spend money unnecessarily and don't want to replace parts that don't need to be replaced.

Advice much appreciated!!

5. benc1855 Apr 4, 2017

I have used Seregins in Union Square to service my 3570.50 and a couple other watches and haven't had any issues. I actually found his shop a few years ago by searching threads in this forum and came across a rec from @gatorcpa, who said he'd bought some bubblebacks from him (if I'm remembering correctly). Did some additional googling and found some other solid references as well. I assume this is the "independent" Tourneau referred you to?

6. fergusm Apr 4, 2017

Actually they recommended United Watch Services (http://www.unitedwatchservices.com/)

Can anyone comment as to whether a new gasket, crown and crystal are necessary for every repair/service?

7. Kmart Apr 4, 2017

I believe gaskets are always replaced at service. Crown and crystal not so much -- while replacing them is common, I would think that as long as they are in good condition it shouldn't be necessary, not at every service at least.

8. fergusm Apr 4, 2017

Thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

Not me. I own no bubblebacks. I did stumble across Seregins in the lobby of a building in downtown SF where I returned my rental car. Very impressive inventory.
    gatorcpa

10. benc1855 Apr 4, 2017

I must have conflated two different comments, excuse the foggy memory! Either way, I've since made a couple purchases from there and had them service several watches (all without a hitch) and I have OF to thank for the recommendation...among many other things (abundance of knowledge / resources, significantly lighter wallet, etc.). So thanks OF!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2017

If you send the watch to Omega, they will replace the case back seal, crown, and pushers at every service. Crystal would depend on condition, but it's not uncommon for them to be replaced on models with acrylic crystals.

Water resistance is not a permanent feature of a watch - it has to be maintained, and that requires periodic replacing of all the seals.

For my clients, I always install a new case back seal, but if people do not want the others changed I'm fine with that, but will not offer any warranty on water resistance. Going through this with someone right now who was unsure if they wanted new crown and seals on a dive watch...that they use in the water regularly. Eventually declined, but I've made it clear that if the watch leaks, it's all on him...

Think of changing these parts as insurance - yes there is a bit of expense up front, but it may save you a much larger expense down the road.

Cheers, Al