Forums Latest Members
  1. LeonDeBayonne Mar 13, 2019

I am aware that there has been a lot of discussions about the 321 since Omega's news release that they will start manufacturing the caliber again this year for the first time in 50 years, but still, I have not made up my mind on the benefit of the 321 vs. the 1861. So basically, here are my questions:
    - Is the 321 a no-brainer vs. the 1861, technically speaking?
    - If you were offered to buy a FOIS equipped with a 321 produced in a limited number (c. 200 a year), what premium would you be ready to pay vs. a 4 k€ regular FOIS?
    Thank you!

2. Davidt Mar 13, 2019

3. LeonDeBayonne Mar 13, 2019

Thank you David. I guess I now have all my answers:
    - Is the 321 a no-brainer vs. the 1861, technically speaking? NO
    - If you were offered to buy a FOIS equipped with a 321 produced in a limited number (c. 200 a year), what premium would you be ready to pay vs. a 4 k€ regular FOIS? A premium for the relative rarity, which in today's terms would mean 100%...

4. pongster Mar 13, 2019

If they make the 321 with co-axial escapement and METAS certified, it wont be the 321 anymore?

Or maybe they’ll use 321s for exact reissuances of the references that used that 321.

5. Theluglife Mar 13, 2019

I wouldn't pay a 100% for a 321 vs a 1861 alone. It's got to have a little something something extra. I don't know, a ceramic bezel, vintage flat bracelet, beautiful hand decorations..along those lines.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  6. Bp1000 Mar 13, 2019

Not sure i would pay a premium if the FOIS contained a 321 and did not modify the rest (dial / hands etc)

The FOIS is not that close to its vintage counterpart. Not like the 1957 CK2915 re-edition (broad arrow trilogy piece) - that did come with heselite, faux patina, matte dial, correct running seconds and chrono hands plus a vintage style bracelet. The only real give away is the "swiss made" that sits above the baseline indices and the adjustable clasp... and of course the lack of wear / scratches and bezel clarity.

The FOIS is too departed. I wished it did have heselite and a stick running seconds and some faux patina.

But... thats my opinion. Some people hate faux patina and really we should respect how the original pieces age. Also, how do you copy that ageing, as all pieces do age differently.

The vintage market does feed the new market and vice versa for omega. And i'm glad of that, because i'd love an ed white, but at 20k its too much. So i am glad of the re-editions, as i can afford them.

Ultimately it might not be a great idea for omega to copy the past for every numbered / limited editor piece they release. I think therefore on balance, what they do, subtly different, is probably the right way to go.

As for the 321. Iconic movement, beautifully made, solid and reliable. Wishful thinking but would love to see one in a 50th anniversary apollo 11 steel, which is a very close copy. With sapphire caseback and no silly etching.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  7. Aconitase Aug 31, 2021

Sorry for the 2 year bump but I can't help but appreciate how this post aged like fine wine. You called it!