Forums Latest Members

321 Speedmaster Chronograph Hand.....replaced Or ???

1. rick42650 Apr 10, 2013

I have had this 321 Speedmaster for quite a long time...and often wonder about the chrono hand....obviously it is not right for this 1967 model-but to me the patina matches the other hands and number markers quite well and it doesn't look messed with.......I know that his chrono hand is correct for a very early Speedmaster...so any opinion here? Replaced? or maybe Omega used an older chrono hand that was still around? ( thinking positive here! ) thanks.. 321-speedmaster.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2013

Omega wouldn't have done that on a watch that late, I guess its possible that maybe a watchmaker had that hand laying around and used it at a service, or that its just a generic hand that looks a lot like the early ones.

3. NiklasARvid Apr 11, 2013

looks very short? do you have a full frontal shot? my guess is generic addition ;-)
    and the indices are painted in a white/greysh tone right? no lume?

4. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 11, 2013

Hi Rick, this central second is not correct for any Speedmaster. The 2915 up to the 2998-5 had a simmilar hand, but not that one, as the tail of yours gets to broad and the length is incorrect. But there is no problem at all to get the correct one with the little luminous point in the top and the pointed tail

cdv likes this.
  5. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 11, 2013

Sorry to jump on your thread Rick but I've always had a similar hope that the chrono hand on my 145-022-68 may have been original too.
    I bought it from the original owner and he could only remember the back coming off once, while he stood in the watchmakers doorway keeping an anxious eye on his Speedy. Of course, there's a lot you can forget in 40+ years ;)

I'm guessing the jury here will say replacement.

100_3749.jpg
    100_3755-1.jpg

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2013

Going to have to say replacement man, btw when are you going to drop into the city for lunch or some beers?

7. rick42650 Apr 12, 2013

great idea-I am very open minded about drinking beer....what city are we talking about?

8. rick42650 Apr 12, 2013

yes-looks that way....and that means? thanks

9. NiklasARvid Apr 14, 2013

means that all lume either fell off or was washed off, and indices later improved by some white/grey paint (i think they are whiter originally (the "placeholders" for lume are painted white on the dial before lume was applied originally, same color as text) ...some unscrupulous sellers paint the indices (sans lume) in a nice beige/golden tone to look like aged lume... bad form...