Forums Latest Members
  1. Thrasher36 May 17, 2017

My friend Adrian who has done so much for me is looking now two years for a Omega 321 1327 balance if you can help at all I would love to get him this part, I know its expensive and rare. If you can ask some of your sources I would appreciate it.

Thank You
    George

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 17, 2017

What is it for? Got any pics?

Eyes open, but technically, you're supposed to have 200 posts before posting a WTB, and it should be posted in the Wanted To Buy subforum.

3. Thrasher36 May 17, 2017

Yea I kinda cheated that one sorry but its better then post whoring like some guys do to get their count up if an Admin kills this I understand. Bottom line is all I know is its a 321 1327 balance for an Omega Speedmaster that he has not been able to complete in two years. He is in Manchester, England so very early morning for him right now and bed time in California for me. I will post more tomorrow if this is still here. I asked for exact model number, year and serial #
    Thank You all in advance :)

4. M'Bob May 18, 2017

He may have to resort to using the more common Lemania variation, which I'm told will work.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2017

Not sure who told you this, but I would take that information with a large grain of salt. To clarify, there really isn't a "321" balance, as it's a 320 balance that is used on the 321, since the 321 is based on the 320. So the part number is 320-1327.

Second, there are 2 versions of the balance used on the 320 (and therefore the 321), so you would need to ensure that even if it is an Omega balance, it is the right one. Putting the incorrect balance in the watch will lead to some interesting timing results...

Superficially these things look simple - often they are not.

Cheers, Al

6. M'Bob May 18, 2017

Thanks for the clarification. What would be the difference between the two, cal. 320 balances?

7. Thrasher36 May 18, 2017

Thank You sir

8. marturx May 18, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically it's a Lemania CH27, right? So a balance fitting a Lemania CH27 should be good also to an Omega 320/321

At least I've used in the past a balance branded Lemania CH27 to a Speedy 321 with great result/ perfect fit.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2017

Please understand I'm not saying that a Lemania balance is 100% not compatible with an Omega 320/321. What I am saying is that it's not something one can assume will work without knowing the differences. If you have taken a balance from one and used it another, and it worked fine, kept time, etc., then if you didn't know the differences in the Omega balances (your post suggests you don't), you simply got lucky. You may not be lucky next time.

Cheers, Al

marco likes this.
  10. marturx May 18, 2017

Al,

If you needed a balance to a Speedmaster 321;

Would you be able to source one?

If not, would you try a Lemania CH27 branded specimen?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2017

They are long discontinued. I would rely on the open market to find one, just like everyone else. It's quite rare that an entire balance has to be replaced - I have never had to replace one on a 320/321.

12. M'Bob May 18, 2017

Yes, I did not have the specifics, but this is what I was told.

13. Thrasher36 May 18, 2017

Thank You guys, Keep the good info coming.

By the way in which section do I do a review of Archers fabulous work on my 2531.80?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2017

The specifics are what's important. The information is out there readily available for those who want to find it. Look at the parts list for the Cal. 320, and it will become clear.

Movements change over time, even vintage movements. Movements from different eras will not be the same, and following the details of threads here will even show you that, albeit on mostly a superficial level (symmetrical v. asymmetrical bridge on the coupling yoke for example). The difference in movements go deeper than what is talked about here.

If someone tells you that a Lemania CH27 is the same as cal. 321, the first question you should ask is, which version of the 321? Yes it's "basically" the same, but that doesn't mean all parts are the same - far from it.

Cheers, Al

marco and M'Bob like this.
  15. M'Bob May 18, 2017

Thanks much for the clarification.

16. Thrasher36 May 18, 2017

This is the latest information I have.

It's not actually out of a speedi, it's out of another omega watch I acquired. But it's going in a speedy case.

It's a 0mega 321, I can take the serial number off the original case if you want.
    It has the same balance as the lemania ch27 c12 if that helps?. I actually have two balance wheels but no hairspring. They carry a breguet overcoil hairspring, very difficult to form, believe it or not I actually tried forming one. Not great at all but it did work, of a fashion.

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 18, 2017

They do come up. I've seen three on eBay in the past year or so. There's a Parts vendor out there too that had them, but they are not the breguet style.

18. watchtinker May 18, 2017

This is absolutely correct, Unfortunately, this information goes way beyond the knowledge of collectors (and, surprisingly, of several watchmakers, too) and is not even hinted in the books they usually make reference to.
    Not all 321's were created equal and, ironically, the less advanced and more problematic are those that are more sought after. :D

Spacefruit and M'Bob like this.
  19. M'Bob May 19, 2017

This is so true, and a slippery-slope for us parts collectors, who at best have a rudimentary understanding of what we are buying. More than once, I have encountered situations where cal. 321 parts have been upgraded and include a ".1" suffix, and the sellers, who often don't know any more than the buyers, can't help determine if the "new" iteration will work with the old, and what additional parts are also needed as a result of that upgrade. Clearly a headache-inducing situation.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2017

I don't expect collectors to understand all the subtleties of different variations in the movements, at least beyond the items that they can pick out visually as part of determining if something is period correct for the watch, and not some kind of franken. It's not ironic at all that the earlier and less advanced 321's are more sought after - it makes perfect sense from a collector's point of view. Very few collectors collect movements - they collect watches and just want the movements to be correct for the given watch. Performance of the movement is usually secondary.

Movement variations can take on many forms, so performance enhancing changes, solving reliability problems, saving on production costs, and even things I've touched on before like hand height variations. Going out and "stocking up" on parts without knowing what you are buying is certainly risking that you buy something that isn't of any use to you, and may lead you to believe that you have parts in hand for movements when you really might not have what you need. I would suggest working with whoever your watchmaker is to determine exactly what is needed, and they can possibly help confirm that something you buy is correct. Just remember that time is money...

Cheers, Al

M'Bob likes this.