Forums Latest Members
  1. yyir Oct 17, 2016

Hi all,

I've decided I might have a new watch for my 30th and asked family to provide money towards the purchase.

I am going to the USA in a few weeks so might see if its worth picking one up there (although the USD - GBP rate means it might not be anymore!).

I was wondering on thoughts for a timeless keeper watch.

All input welcome!

2. yyir Oct 17, 2016

I should also say I have a few vintage Seamasters (black faced and a gold Seamaster 30)

I am currently considering a Speedmaster or a divers watch

3. chronos Oct 17, 2016

What is the price range and what are the criteria for the watch?

4. yyir Oct 17, 2016

Great point! I don't have a fixed price - maybe up to $3,000 USD? The bulk of the money will come from myself (depending on the generosity of my family!)

Criteria is I want a timeless watch I can wear on special occasions (nothing weird or "unique"). I want a watch I will have for my whole life which is capable in a formal work environment and also at family things. I am open on specific brand, but it needs to be something which is fairly well known as I would like one day to pass it along,

I don't want an everyday watch, I have a couple of beaters for that (Seiko and Rotary) for the beach, gardening etc

5. alam Oct 17, 2016

I'm going to try this approach for the next anniversary event in my life... :)

Vitezi likes this.
  6. yyir Oct 17, 2016

I was offered a Mont Blanc pen (from my brother), but i'll simply lose it! A watch is attached to my wrist!

7. gostang9 Oct 17, 2016

Is $3000 USD your limit? If so, are you open to pre-owned and grey-market watches?

Are you hoping for a vintage piece or something modern?

You know a watch is a very personal thing. The watches I love, you might not like.... And the ones I don't like, you might love. So your preference is more important that what anyone else's opinion is.

Look through the sales sections of this forum (there is one for frequent sellers and another for private sellers). This will give you a great idea if the variety out there and the range of prices they go for.

I bought some new mechanical watches for ~$500. USD new but I seldom wear them.

I also own a black dial Rolex Explorer II 216570. It is 42mm, has GMT function, is understated and in my view almost a perfect watch (for me). New price is over $6000 USD but IMO very well worth it.
    [​IMG]

I also own a modern Speedmaster with a 3569.31 dial and hand conversion that for me is another almost perfect watch. I bought the watch for $3550 from Chitownwatch.com and the dial/hands from E-bay, had a watchmaker replace the hands for a total cost just of just under $4200 USD. Again, it gives me a virtually new watch that looks fantastic (to me... And btw, that's the only person I have in mind when I buy a watch)
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchthirst likes this.
  8. yyir Oct 17, 2016

I would say pre owned, I wouldn't buy a new car and I'm the same with my watches - best value is one a few years old imo

The reason I made the post is to get new ideas beyond the speedmaster or diver route. Though I would like opinions on which would be good to buy (movement numbers) . I also like the look of viggen flight watches ( cat amongst the pigeons)

9. Rman Oct 17, 2016

Special occasions and formal work environment doesn't spell Speedmaster or diver to me. How bout a Globemaster?

10. EatMan Oct 17, 2016

NOMOS. Unique look. Respected brand. In your price range. Dressy enough for special occasions but casual enough for most everything.

Or an older (36mm) Rolex datejust. Classy. Classic. Instantly recognizable.

nlogax, watchthirst, Archer and 2 others like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2016

+1 on Nomos...

12. barmy Oct 17, 2016

Vintage Rolex Datejust. Can go from the office to the Opera to the football game. Good all around watch. And would match your price criteria.

chronos likes this.