Forums Latest Members
  1. sephil Mar 21, 2018

Hi everyone, I have been lurker around the vintage Omega community for a while doing my "homework" but don't feel confident yet I have the eye for the redial, over-polished and franken watches all the time. I wanted to run the following with you.

I work in the fashion industry dealing mostly with apparel but come across the opportunity to acquire the following 3 watches from a trusted vintage shop that usually sell bags and jewelleries. They are all priced at around US1,000$ and have been serviced. I have the feeling they are a bit on the pricey side but I could use a staff discount coupon I receive every 6 months that would cover half the price so it would sort of be a "bargain" for me and they look like in good shape.

Things that I don't like also is that I have no references number and very little info on them and don't have the opportunity to open the cases. Still wanted to know if one of them was specially shinning to you guys.

70s Seamaster 35mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

70s Seamaster De Ville 34mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Constellation C-Shape 33mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On my side I like the the Seamaster and looks like the only one still with original crystal with Omega logo. Also like C-Shapes so the Constellation was also in my mind too.

Thank you for the input.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2018

Honestly need more info to tell you more. Need to see movement shots at the 1k pricevwhich feels high

What’s your goals for owning a watch.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2018

But watch1 is over polished the facets are gone.
    Watch 2 isn’t bad but it’s nowhere near 1k and clearly has not been serviced as there is noticeable gunk on the bezel that you would assume would have been cleaned in a full service. Watch 3 is small for modern young males and has also not been cleaned.

I assume they are a dealer with a pop up in Nordstrom’s or similar, hefty premium there. None of them are worth near 1k and 500 is pushing it.

May I suggest the Orient Bambino (smaller variants beware the 43mm and larger ones) and Seiko SKX both can be purchased for under 500 combined and you get 2 great watches. A vintage inspired dress piece and a classic sport diver. Buy some great straps to go with them and you have watches for every occasion.

A8C2F325-3D54-44AF-BA52-1CC524AC72ED.jpeg 86606BD2-C4F0-4F5F-9EDE-FBCF6E36A28F.jpeg
    One of about 10 variants of the Bambino.

Both of these watches appear on every list of affordable watches for watch snobs.

Spruce and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2018

@Foo2rama, have you ever seen this reference before? ;)

It is supposed to look like that. This one seems to be in really good nick, too.

Important point about the Constellation is that it is missing a bezel... I wouldn't call a C-cased Constellation small for "modern young males", especially as I haven't seen the OP wearing a watch. If he has as manly arms as I, it'll look just fine :D

@sephil for $500 you could do a lot worse than the first one, I surely wouldn't feel bad for anyone showing it off as a first vintage watch at that price :)

Butchhuff, Foo2rama and sephil like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 22, 2018

At 33mm I would say yes the C Case will look very small. I am not exactly massive and anything below 34mm looks like a toy*. I thought the C cases were 35mm, or were there several sizes?

I haven’t seen No1 before either but if CEP/Troels says it is OK like that then it is likely the one to go for IMO based on size and originality.

* I make an exception for gold dress watches which still look ok at 33mm.

Edited Mar 22, 2018
  6. sephil Mar 22, 2018

Thank you for your input Foo2rama.

I might be wrong on the Seamaster (watch1) but it looks to me it could be a referance ST 166.0067 with cal 565 or something alike. If it's the case the "gone over polished facets" is really part of this specific design and they sell for over 1000$ serviced and in good shape...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-seamaster-automatic-1970-Vintage-Swiss-Watch-/142378683496Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

As for the Constellation C-Shape (watch3), I'm aware it's on smaller side but my wrist aren't big to start with. The case shape makes up a bit for it and it's classic 60s style (maybe 168.017 SP Gerald Genta?).

The shop is very reputable vintage seller. They have policy to keep "patina" and other cosmetic aspects very much original but I don't doubt that they did a proper internal movement service.

Their is a lot of SKX on Internet indeed lately but I already own a Seiko "Hi-Beat" 4S15 Red Alpinist (RefSCVF005) that does a similar job nicely. I seen Orient watches and they just don't clic for me. I don't like the ornament logo vintage inspired design.

7. sephil Mar 22, 2018

oops... seen other had time to add to it in same sense

8. Davidt Mar 22, 2018

You've listed three very different watches there (well ok two are kind of similar). What are you looking for?

I'd go with the DeVille if it has a guaranteed service. You'd struggle get one serviced for 500 US.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2018

It's fine, they look like that, it's not a bad watch and the price, while high, may be acceptable if the "servicing" was done properly and you could barter it down.

Oops, should have scrolled down.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. sephil Mar 22, 2018

Thank you for your comment @ConElPueblo interesting point about the bezel. I know some C-shapes have fluted bezel but I didn't think this one was suppose to have one. Might explain why I had issue to find info on this specific shape but isn't it the same as this one or I don't look at it properly? https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-...steel-–-caliber-564-excellent-condition.9598/

I would have to pay about an extra 500$ of my pocket but I could really put the coupon money to get something cheaper for free too (although as stated the place I work usually sell apparel and already have way too much already working in the industry for a while). At the end of the day the question should be if any worth the 1000$ asked price. I know you can get those reference for much cheaper on eBay but usually not serviced recently and for having bough an other vintage watch recently I know those don't come cheap. :(

11. sephil Mar 22, 2018

@Davidt Yes, I know. It's simply that we have those 3 items listed. To be honest the De Ville is my least favorite design being very conservative and the one I researched the least but I still was worry to "miss out" something. Around my area Omega authorize dealer OH service for those would be in the 600$ (I checked :)).

At the moment I own a Vietnam area inspired automatic Benrus BR2671 that I wear at semi-formal events and casual day too. I was looking to replace it with something with a bit more horology credibility.

12. Davidt Mar 22, 2018

If you're comparing them at the list price of 1000US, you aren't missing out on anything.

You're better deciding on what you actually want and narrowing your search, rather than buying one purely because you think it may be a good deal.

Lucasssssss and sephil like this.
  13. michael22 Mar 22, 2018

The C case is missing a bezel, Probably 18K white gold. Big drop in value. I would choose the first one for 500.
    The De ville has damaged lugs, in a way that would bother me.

Lots of C cases are missing a bezel. It starts to look normal after a while, but it never looks as good.

14. chipsotoole Mar 22, 2018

Watch number 1 appeals to me the best , I think it has the classiest (albeit 70's) looks . It'll probably wear a little bigger than watch 2 because of the generous case. But notice how the date "17" isn't centred? This is a tale tale sign the watch hasn't been serviced and definitely needs one. Bezel missing on 3 is a no brainer.

sephil likes this.
  15. sephil Mar 22, 2018

@chipsotoole that's interesting call about the misaligned date. Worrisome because as stated they are supposed to be serviced and in "good functioning order". For me this point is very important to justify the asking price.

16. michael22 Mar 22, 2018

They are not serviced, aside from being wiped with a paper towel. Still gunk in the nooks of the case.

Foo2rama and Vitezi like this.
  17. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2018

No.

It's a sign that the watch isn't showing 11 a.m. but 11 p.m.

The amount of crud on the case between the lugs is simply astounding, especially on the Seamaster.

@sephil - which dealer is selling these? I'd like to see his website.

Foo2rama, Davidt and Vitezi like this.
  18. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

@sephil, both @ConElPueblo and @michael22 are spot on :thumbsup: ...the gunk that is visible on these watches strongly suggests they have not been recently serviced. You should factor in a "clean, oil and adjust" service by your own watchmaker on any of these, and perhaps more importantly, take whatever sales pitch you are being given with a hefty dose of skepticism.

19. Davidt Mar 22, 2018

I didn’t see that. It’s extrrneky unlikely these have been serviced given the muck between the lugs. Even if the seller insists the movements have been done and the cases left as-is, what kind of service and attention to detail would you be getting when the seller can’t be bothered to take the straps of for a five minute clean between the lugs (never mind the fact that the entire case should be untrasonically cleaned as part of a service!).

frederico likes this.
  20. sephil Mar 22, 2018