Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2015

On the left is a nice original watch. It comes from a private source, with a beautiful dial.

On the right is a watch built up from at least three watches.

So. Lets see your best with your worst:

P6180002.jpg

persco, lando, travisrock and 4 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 18, 2015

as a matter of interest on the topic, where is the line between creating a franken and restoring a nice watch? for example, if you picked up a 2998 with baton hands and replaced them with proper alpha hands, or replaced a poor bezel with a nice one, or a crummy dial with a beautiful one. are any of those considered frankening? does it take a certain number of parts replaced to attain Franken status?

persco, Giff2577, Northernman and 4 others like this.
  3. watchlovr Jun 18, 2015

Oooh, you are opening a can of worms there!
    Heavily discussed on Rolex forums, unless you are talking about movement parts, if the replaced parts were correct for the piece, surely you would never know anyway, unless the patina was very different.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 18, 2015

Many, if not most, descriptions of parts as "original" with respect to a particular watch, decades old and likely passed through multiple hands are opinion only.

Difficult enough at times to discern "correct".

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2015

The watch on the right was built up by me, several years ago. Before the Idea of a $10,000 2998 was but a glint in the Watch God's eye.

The case came from a retired watchmaker - empty and without a bezel.

The movement came from a seamster with a case so over polished it had no definition at all.

The dial is from a 105.003 - I didnt remove it, some one did. At the time it seemed perfectly acceptable to place it in this. Now 105.003 dials seem to get $1000 or thereabouts.

The hands are new, issued by Omega as service replacements.

The bezel came from somewhere else.

Giff2577 likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 18, 2015

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434658405.587514.jpg

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 18, 2015

I can see classifying the one on the right as a franken, especially given Spacefruit's account of its provenance.

I was more curious about the other type of 'piecing together' of a decent watch than needs some TLC. I don't mean to raise a taboo topic, if that's what this is, I'm genuinely curious.

It seems to be acceptable, to change hands, bezel, even dial in isolation, but maybe changing all of them is a different matter?

gemini4 and gophishin like this.
  8. gophishin Jun 18, 2015

It's a good question, to which I'm sure there's not cut and dry answer, but I'm interested to hear what the experts think. I can see it both ways really, I guess it's more what the intention of the changes is/was and how it's presented?

9. harrymai86 Jun 18, 2015

What did you do to the hands to make them look like that?

10. richardew Jun 18, 2015

The movement of the Franken wouldn't match any of the known series used in the 2998 and it would therefore be a parts watch. The hands don't match the dial. In my mind, what makes the watch the watch is the movement. If it had a 2998 movement and case, then it's a 2998, even with the wrong hands and dial. If you found a nice proper 2998 dial and set of hands to match that dial, then you would have a 2998 that would appear to have all original parts. When assessing a vintage piece that hasn't been in you possession since new, all you can know for sure is that the parts are correct and they seem to have aged together.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2015

Trouble with 2998s is they're in the movement grey area where Omega has no records so you can't verify one way or the other.

gophishin and oddboy like this.
  12. justwatching Jun 18, 2015

I dont mind a built up watch as long as all parts are period correct and the watch looks nice over all. But i would pay way less for it though.

13. watchlovr Jun 19, 2015

Yes, but it would surely flag up as "seamaster" in their records?

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2015

The trouble is the 321 movements in that block there are simply no records at all AFAIK @speedy4ever may be able to elaborate but my understanding was that Lemania was assembling the watches with 321 movements at the time and they hadn't kept records to the same level of detail Omega does.

15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 19, 2015

Other than perhaps the movement number being off (and as @dsio noted it is not always clear)... if the parts are all correct and if the seller doesn't disclose it.... just curious how anyone can know it's a put-together watch?

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2015

I'm actually in the process of documenting the putting together of a 66-CB, its a very expensive and time consuming thing but a lot of fun too.

One of the other points of difference between a franken and a correctly put-together watch is that a franken is both more cost effective and convenient to assemble, @Spacefruit's 2998 is a bit different as he'll be unlikely to part with his and potentially at some point he might end up breaking it up to complete several other watches in his collection correctly. Sort of makes frankens like that a wearable long term spare parts supply.

My 66CB when its done will have cost me more than I could buy one for, but I'll know that part by part everything will be spot on and have a clear bill of health by the end of it, with a 100% correct dial, matching serial and case. Most importantly I'll have saved a Cal 321 Moonwatch that otherwise would have been scrapped (and was before I bought the carcass).

gophishin, Darlinboy and Giff2577 like this.
  17. richardew Jun 19, 2015

Actually, you can. This page has almost all of the movement series used in the 2998. I would add the 18.491.xxx series which I have found on multiple 2998-5s.
    http://www.vintageure.dk/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=326

18. richardew Jun 19, 2015

Nope. The extract for many early watches simply has the production date for the movement. It doesn't specify model.

19. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 19, 2015

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2015

Except the vendor wouldn't want you to pay less for it & few people or dealers disclose facts which will depress their sales price, unless they were a principled collector themselves. Which is why we say it's important to buy the seller & not just the watch...

persco and Spacefruit like this.