Forums Latest Members

2998ck Plastic vs. Sapphire Crystal

1. LeonDeBayonne Jun 17, 2017

Would anyone know if it is possible to replace the sapphire crystal with a plastic one on a 2998ck please?
    If so would anyone know the reference of the plastic crystal to use, as I believe the size would differ from those that fit vintage 2998s.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 17, 2017

Generally no. At least with Omega parts. The Speedmaster Pro cannot swap a hesalite crystal onto a sapphire model. They have slightly different cases. Although with some machining I've heard it is possible.

I'd doubt it can be easily done on the CK. That being said anything is possible with enough money.

LeonDeBayonne and arcadelt like this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 17, 2017

Or a big tube of glue. :D

LeonDeBayonne and Foo2rama like this.
  4. LeonDeBayonne Jun 18, 2017

Thanks guys, I'm afraid you're right. However, as one never knows, I have asked the same question to a guy who works for an Omega distributor. I'll let you know the answer.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2017

He will tell you the same. Certainly someone can do some sort of hack job and make some acrylic crystal fit, but swapping a Speedmaster acrylic to a Speedmaster with sapphire just doesn't work as a straight up swap.

6. LeonDeBayonne Jun 18, 2017

OK, thank you. I understand. It's a shame. Even though Omega did a great job with the sapphire crystal, still it does not have the charm of an acrylic or plastic crystal.

7. LeonDeBayonne Jun 24, 2017

Archer, dennisthemenace and foot2rama - Got another and final confirmation. It is, indeed, not possible to swap crystals. Thanks for your input.

8. drhex Jun 25, 2017

Could you change he caseband only to make it happen?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 25, 2017

caseback? no, its an issue with the way the midcase is designed.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2017

The case frame (a.k.a. the case band or mid-case) is what makes the watch "special" looking with the different lugs to a regular Speedmaster Pro case. So the answer is yes you could change it for a new 145022 style case frame, but you would then have a twisted lug case with a 2998 bezel and case back. Not sure that is really what the OP is asking for here, or those who want a FIOS with an acrylic crystal want. The part of the case you are changing would make it look like a completely different watch.

If they made a flat lug modern case with an acrylic crystal, then yes that would be great, but they don't that I'm aware of.

Cheers, Al

LeonDeBayonne likes this.