Forums Latest Members
  1. davidr1963 Jul 22, 2017

Hi all,
    This is my second first post on here. I had a few issues first time round but hopefully that's all resolved now.

I came across a speedmaster first sold in 1964 (engraving on the case back as proof)

IMG_2001.JPG

The watch belonged to an old guy I knew and we chatted about it for some time before he offered to sell it to me for £1500. After a little research I soon realised that it would be worth much more than that and I felt it unfair to take advantage so said I'd sell it for him.

I asked a few questions on here but very soon realised that it was seen as a stealth sales post so deleted the thread. Anyway, the watch is sold now so I can share a few pictures of a one owner, 1961/2 2998-3.

The owner used it daily and had it serviced intermittently by Omega. It had a new movement, bracelet and bezel insert in 1973 so no DON and a 62 watch with a 68 movement.

It was last serviced in 2015 so still has some warranty left. It had, among other things, another new bezel insert, new rahaut, crown, pushers and some hands.

It came on a 1035 bracelet and he still had the 7912 and there were three end links, a 516 and the two no.6 that have been discussed on here in the last few days.

Knowing KJH666 from TZ-UK and both being long standing members there, a deal was struck and he is now the proud owner of a vintage bracelet and some number 6 end links, one being an even rarer single notch.
    IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG

Having not really taken an interest in speedmasters previously, this whole process has been a great experience and given me a new appreciation for the model. So much so that I fully intend to buy a speedy pro at some stage in the near future. Not vintage though, they're a bit out of my price range at the moment![emoji45]

Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures in case anyone's interested or would like to comment. If you've got this far, thanks for reading. IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1996.JPG IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1975.JPG IMG_1965.JPG

And one last shot of my old constellation.

IMG_1566.JPG

PaulC77 and Spacefruit like this.
  2. KJH666 Jul 22, 2017

This was a really interesting case. You had the original owner who still owned the watch from new, it had even been engraved in 1964. It would appear that there was some damage to the watch later on and the watch was given a new 1968 movement and maybe a service dial - not sure on that final point as the rehaut covers the text below the 6.

Either way, some 50 years later Dave (or the original owner) was left with a watch that by today's standards still looks stunning and is technically a pre-moon watch, but not all of its parts are original. I explained to Dave that if it had been an original 2998-3 he would be looking at the best part of £20k.

Dave in consultation with the owner decided to split the package and has sold the Watch. The 1972 1035 bracelet is currently on e-bay if anyone is interested in bidding and I snuck in round the back and had the earlier bracelet whilst no one was looking. This also explains why one of my Number 6 end links is the earlier single notch, which is consistent with a 2998-3, although I cannot work out how he got the double notch Number 6 unless there was a service early on a single end link damaged and they just replaced one. I cannot believe they still had them in 1972 and how did he end up with a number 6 and a 516 end link - the 516 is also on e-bay.

Dave did post last week and was accused of a stealth sale, which I knew it was not.

Any thoughts on this, many watches have service replacement parts, but replacing the movement does seem a little more extreme than hands, crystal or crown etc.

I did encourage Dave to keep the watch - I thought it was a stunner.

Edited Jul 22, 2017
    td69 likes this.
  3. sjg22 Jul 22, 2017

I enjoyed the story on this one - definitely underlines just how rare it is to find a fully original watch.

Thanks for sharing.

4. davidr1963 Jul 22, 2017

Ken and I have a difference of opinion re the number 6 links.

The 516 quite clearly was fitted with the new bracelet in the early seventies, the single notch 6 being left attached to the 7912.

Having spoken to the owner, I'm inclined to think that both a single and a double notch 6 were fitted at the time of manufacture. As the 2998-3 was the last model with the single notch and the watch was built in 1962 (probably), it's my thought that they may have had both single and double butch in the same parts bun for a time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

5. KJH666 Jul 22, 2017

It is possible Dave. The various charts tend to be black and white, but we all know that there are large areas of grey and if Omega had just started using the double notch at that time, both could be totally original to the watch.

The opinion of most people on here was ignore it, two number 6 end links are gold dust anyway, don't worry that one may be slightly later than the other.

The fact that people have 1035 bracelets with 6 endlinks shows that there are transitions between what we think we know some 50 years later.

The guys at Omega they just grabbed the next one out of the bin. I bet none of them even knew that stamped numbers that were almost invisible to human eye had been changed.

6. davidr1963 Jul 22, 2017

That's not what you were telling me before you got your hands on them Ken![emoji3]

cristos71 likes this.
  7. KJH666 Jul 22, 2017

Come on Dave, who was it told me a pair on e-bay sold for over £1k, a few grams of 24ct gold or platinum wouldn't cost that much - hence the comment :)

8. davidr1963 Jul 22, 2017

I know, crazy isn't it?

9. td69 Jul 22, 2017

I remember that thread and even made a comment just before it was deleted. Cool story.

10. davidr1963 Jul 23, 2017

Yes, I deleted it because once I read if back and read the comments, it definitely looked like a stealth sales thread which it wasn't.
    A bit of research gave me some guide prices for the bracelets and links but I didn't have any idea of what the watch head itself would be worth.
    I put it on eBay but they pulled the advert saying I'd put it in the wrong category. I hadn't but by that time I was in conversation with someone who ended up paying a price that I was happy with for it.
    He may have got a bargain but I think it was a decent price. Cheers

Edited Jul 23, 2017
  11. Dash1 Jul 23, 2017

It's a funny thing but over the years I have seen many, many 2998 and earlier Speedies with one single notch and one double notch no.6 end link fitted, so much so that I have been thinking this is how they left the factory, but why that would be I can't imagine. My alternative theory is that when a spring bar broke it would be quite easy to lose an end link, and when you got a new one fitted it would be the slightly later double notch type, hence the mismatch.

12. Dash1 Jul 23, 2017

Xk is probably about right, it's value lies only in the assemblage of parts.

Edited Jul 24, 2017
  13. davidr1963 Jul 23, 2017

Thanks Dash, it's a strange one re the end links, quite a mystery really. One the one hand, why would they leave the factory like that but on the other, why are there so many?
    The other question is whether you've seen more with a pair of single notch links than mismatch? I ask this because I would expect less owners to lose an end link than not to lose one.

I realised that it was really only worth the parts so I'm glad that you also think it was a fair price, as it wasn't mine I feel happier that someone independent thinks it was reasonable too.

14. KJH666 Jul 23, 2017

That is very interesting and to some degree quite reassuring - thank you.

I don't really see any benefit in trying to swop. I will stick with what I have.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2017

The life story of an honest and well loved tool watch.

marco likes this.
  16. bgrisso Jul 23, 2017

I died a little reading the list of replacement parts. I take it omega did not return the old parts with the service? What would justify a movement swap that doesn't seem to affect the dial and case? All I can think of would be water, but then that would have to be a service dial? Even just a set of matching hands would go a long way. Anyhow /rant
    Nice of you to sell for the owner, and still seems very reasonable at £5K

17. TNTwatch Jul 23, 2017

It is a later replacement dial, not original or period-correct one. Just look at the hour indices (among other signs).