incandenza
·Hi all - hoping to get some advice from the vintage Speedmaster experts before I let anyone modify anything.
I recently picked up a Speedmaster 2998-3. The Omega archive extract dates production to February 1961, and the watch was originally sold head-only.
Separately, I bought what was represented to me as a 7077 bracelet dated 1960 with No. 6 end links, with the intention of pairing it with the watch. My understanding was that this should be a period-correct combination for an early 2998.
I brought the watch and bracelet to my local watch shop in NYC to have the bracelet installed. They told me that the No. 6 end links do not currently fit the case correctly and that the end links would need to be adjusted/shaped by their jeweler in order to fit.
Before having that done, I wanted to check with the forum. Given the age and value of the bracelet/end links, I’m wary of physically altering original parts unless that is actually normal and expected with these.
A few questions I’d really appreciate some guidance on:
I’ve attached a photo of the bracelet, No. 6 end links and spring bars as they sit now. I can also post close-ups of the end-link stamps, bracelet/clasp markings, inside surfaces of the end links, and the watch lugs if helpful.
My inclination is to leave everything untouched until I understand exactly why they aren’t fitting and what “adjustment” would entail. I’m not opposed to having them fitted properly - I just don’t want to modify a scarce original component unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance - would really appreciate any experience from people who have fitted 7077/6 bracelets to early 2998s.
I recently picked up a Speedmaster 2998-3. The Omega archive extract dates production to February 1961, and the watch was originally sold head-only.
Separately, I bought what was represented to me as a 7077 bracelet dated 1960 with No. 6 end links, with the intention of pairing it with the watch. My understanding was that this should be a period-correct combination for an early 2998.
I brought the watch and bracelet to my local watch shop in NYC to have the bracelet installed. They told me that the No. 6 end links do not currently fit the case correctly and that the end links would need to be adjusted/shaped by their jeweler in order to fit.
Before having that done, I wanted to check with the forum. Given the age and value of the bracelet/end links, I’m wary of physically altering original parts unless that is actually normal and expected with these.
A few questions I’d really appreciate some guidance on:
- Are No. 6 end links correct for a 7077 on a 2998-3 from early 1961?
- Should genuine No. 6 end links normally fit a 2998 case without modification, or is some hand-fitting/bending of these end links typical?
- If they don’t fit as-is, does that suggest anything about the end links themselves - e.g. that they may have been previously shaped for another case, are a different variation, etc.?
- If adjustment is normal, how much adjustment is considered acceptable? I’m particularly interested in whether this generally means gentle/reversible reshaping versus actually removing or permanently altering metal.
- Is there anything specific I should photograph or measure that would help determine whether the bracelet/end links are correct before proceeding?
I’ve attached a photo of the bracelet, No. 6 end links and spring bars as they sit now. I can also post close-ups of the end-link stamps, bracelet/clasp markings, inside surfaces of the end links, and the watch lugs if helpful.
My inclination is to leave everything untouched until I understand exactly why they aren’t fitting and what “adjustment” would entail. I’m not opposed to having them fitted properly - I just don’t want to modify a scarce original component unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance - would really appreciate any experience from people who have fitted 7077/6 bracelets to early 2998s.