Forums Latest Members
  1. Tubber Oct 24, 2015

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 24, 2015

double the price now.kind regards. achim

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. base615 Oct 24, 2015

Dunno but definitely more than my budget.

4. cristos71 Oct 24, 2015

He´s soliciting offers so I doubt we´ll see the end price.

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. abrod520 Oct 24, 2015

Interesting that he put this one on eBay instead of his website or the forums, as he's a well-regarded seller... wonder why that avenue? The incorrect bezel perhaps?

6. Davidt Oct 24, 2015

It's been in here before no?

Certainly been on his Instagram and website.

7. abrod520 Oct 24, 2015

Ah yeah you're right, though I missed it here unless it was a while ago. Still, a watch like that would have sold on one of the forums rather quickly I'd think

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 24, 2015

It is an interesting one, that I have been discussing privately for a while.

The obvious draw is the lollipop and the so called tropical dial.

Brown dials are an arbitrary, subjective characteristic that can have some collectors battle to dizzying values. I myself have paid over double the market value for a 2998 that had a warm Galaxy chocolate dial in good condition.

There is a fine line between attractive aged patina and damage. Sometimes damage can be attractive, but not valuable.

Often the only test is to own it !

An attractive patina will look better, or more attractive each time you look at it or wear it.

An unattractive, and hence not valuable dial, will not. Each time you look at it you think, "oh, I thought it was better than that!"

The trick is to be able to see that before buying.

Examine the dial of this watch. It shows a pale, faded brown, as though it has been heavily exposed to light. What I do not like is the "dry" look. The surface has many spots, and patches. I wonder if it has spent time out of a watch.

There are other, intuitive things about the watch, were it to sell for a big price. The lollipop is very poor and may or may not be original to the watch. We cannot know. However we do know it received a new bezel at some point, so some sort of disassembly and reassembly is likely.

It is a question of how much.

It is an interesting watch, but not to me an expensive one. I think the market may prove me wrong!

More on brown dials here:
    http://speedmaster101.com/blog/brown-dials/

heypacha likes this.
  9. abrod520 Oct 24, 2015

Crown looks to be incorrect too, though I of course defer to you on such matters - but, shouldn't it be a narrow-foot logo on watches this early? My 105.003 has a narrow-foot crown, but I'm not sure if they went back and forth.

I'm in agreement with your assessment, to which I'd like to add that this watch doesn't feature the warm hue of a nicely aged lume, especially on the hands - but I'd expect it'll still reach close to $20k, given the climate of the vintage chronograph world right now.

heypacha likes this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 24, 2015

11. Cortezthekiller Oct 24, 2015

I check Lunar Oyster often, and have seen both of these watches for some time. Although not in the market for either reference, I do enjoy the "degraded" look of these dials and the skeleton lollipop and Broad Arrow hands on the 2915.

12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 24, 2015

13. Dgercp Oct 24, 2015

Well, the dial, movement and case all seem correct and the lack of lume in lollipop suggest this may??? be original too. Crown a replacement but not a biggy. So even with wrong bezel and faded blotchy dial, I suspect this will go around 20k. Heady times!

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 24, 2015

Yes, and both degraded in very similar ways.. splotches, brown, light lume. Just interesting..