Forums Latest Members
  1. cristos71 Aug 26, 2014

Here´s a 2915 that´s just come onto the market for anybody who´s looking. I´m no Speedmaster expert here, so I´m not recommending it, but this seller generally has nice stuff although he can be pricey. POA unfortunately, but you know what they say, if you need to ask the price.......;)

http://www.carsandwatches.com/omega-speedmaster-2915-2/

2915-2-Groot.jpg

ock2915, JohnSteed and Gaz6263 like this.
  2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2014

Looks good indeed! Anybody already requested the price?

Concerning the sub hands I have some doubts for the minute on the right side and the permanent second on the left. Those 2 hands used to be slightly different in shape in the first 2915's compared to all later alpha-sub-hands on the 2998's and also compared to the hour hand for the totalisator in the bottom of the 2915's.

The theory about the bigger tension ring is new to me. Looks somehow a little bit to narrow, as for usual the SWISS MADE can be seen half. But we always learn something new in this exciting matter :)

I know Dino as a very serious Omega seller :thumbsup:

watchyouwant and JohnSteed like this.
  3. incabloc Aug 26, 2014

i requested the price, he wants 47'500.- Euro for it:eek:

4. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2014

is a lot of money but seems not unreasonable for a good example of this very rare bird IMO.
    Compared with collectors heavens from other brands I'd say it is almost a bargain ::facepalm1:: ::money:: :whistling:

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 26, 2014

for this money I`d like to have a few very good pictures from the bezel. too many good, but not omega ones lately.......but, as said before, Dino is a very good seller ( and buyer for that matter......) kind regards. achim

6. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 26, 2014

fatter at connection to round part of hand?

7. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2014

here you can see this special shape of the two sub-alpha-hands rather well:

[​IMG]

compare the 2 upper sub-hands with the one at the bottom as well.

8. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Aug 26, 2014

For that money, I'd want the car too.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 26, 2014

A perfect 2915 - 1 is a £50,000 watch and I would chop the car in to get one at the drop of the hat, but this one is 75% of that. If I were to spend that sort of money, I would rather pay the extra for the 100% item. This is my exception to my rule of, buy a banker and then look for a better example.

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. sulaco Aug 26, 2014

I wouldnt trust these drawed adds, they are are ancient photoshopping at least, same goes for later Adds with Pictures, they are not valuable for specifing a model. Unfortunately :(

11. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2014

Agreed with many details, but concerning the little alphas this pic correspond with reality. Unfortunately the new Speedmaster book does not mention this interesting detail. It should be updated here in a next issue.

Here is the example from the Omega Museum in Bienne. Compare the shape of the two lilttle hands on top and that one on the bottom.

[​IMG]

rolexfantastic likes this.
  12. rolexfantastic Aug 27, 2014

Good observation.

MSNWatch likes this.
  13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 27, 2014

and that pics. from the museum example highlightes my question about better bezel pictures. the first 3 numerals (300-250) have the first number next to the crystal extremely tight/nearly cut off. that is the way, I remembered these bezels..... just food for thought. who can post a better picture from the original bezel in magnification? kind regards., achim

14. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2014

Achim, the bezel matter with 2915 will forever remain a mysterium, as long as the Museum itself does not publish the old patterns from the archiv (which is probably not possible as Lemania in Orient produced the 2915 and their archiv seems to be lost).

For sure there were at least two to three or even more different steel bezels within the 2915 range. The one on the museum watch should be the first version, without serifs in the letter, with the special "3" etc. The one on top of this thread from Dino is not that one but might be a second model. Unfortunately the letters of the words can not be seen clearly, as you mention.

15. rolexfantastic Aug 27, 2014

The indexes between 60 and 100 seem strange too and the numerals always too far either from crystal or top rim.
    Omega may not have the dies anymore or they may never had them thus the information may be missing from the archives too, but just like in coins, we can recognize a few patterns and distinguish the bezel variations out there. I don't know if the 2915 bezels were categorized so far, but if not, for the asking price the study should be a priority.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 27, 2014

Another view of the museum watch. Different bezel? or perhaps they just cleaned it, making 65 look like 63.

2915-1.jpg

BASE1000, initialjh and ock2915 like this.
  17. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Aug 27, 2014

No, it´s not mentioned and probably will not in case of second edition (perhaps mentioned, but not classified). The main reason is the following: in absence of clear documented archives, we can only draw patterns, what we did for 2915 with dials and bezels, which are essential parts. For hands, we think that it would be dangerous to go into too tiny details without any proof of origin (in our opinion drawings are not)! In particular because hands were probably changed more often than dials or bezels during services. Finally, the sample of observed 2915 is small and this model represents a lot of money. As we are aware of the responsibility of what we wrote in the book, we thought that being too categorical would not be so good. But may be in10 years we will have enough data to do it.