Forums Latest Members

2913 FAP from Phillips – from swan to ugly duckling

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 2, 2017

Is it inappropriate to bump this tread while waiting?

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 2, 2017

Sacha is his own personality ; why would we want to force him into anything? mostly everything is said . so, just move on and do not expect people to be on the same wave length. Wisdom of old age............. kind regards. achim

3. default Dec 3, 2017

im actually impressed by the work done to the watch. The transformation of the watch from ugly duckling to swan is quite impressive. (not withstanding the fact that Philips described it very wrong in the auction)

jumpingsecond likes this.
  4. TsoloT Dec 3, 2017

My understanding is that the buyer of the FAP 300 has now returned it to Phillips following the revelations the forum has produced

Lucasssssss and BenBagbag like this.
  5. BenBagbag Dec 3, 2017

Funny because OP sees it the other way around. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So maybe we'll finally get to see some macro shots of the bezel... :whistling:

kox and gemini4 like this.
  6. marco Dec 3, 2017

Well maybe Phillips have learnt something here in what in their eyes must be a fiasco.
    More diligence and full disclosure to the best of their knowledge is expected.

NOTSHARP and georgeszaslavsky like this.
  7. COYI Dec 3, 2017

I think the buyer owes Kox a beer or two

kox, Andy K, smitty190373 and 10 others like this.
  8. georgeszaslavsky Dec 4, 2017

The problem with auction houses is that they are rarely knowledgeable at what they sell and often what they sell is of dubious origin, not overhauled and not period correct. You end up paying big bucks for a cat in the bag.

red crowned, Spacefruit and marco like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Dec 4, 2017

I think it's fairer to say that no auction house is staffed by experts in every type, brand, and model of watch - that would be an impossible task.

And that, again, isn't the issue as I see it here.

The issue is that Philips claimed that this watch was original, (when with some detective work they could have known otherwise), and it appears that they did so either based on the prompting of the seller, or the sellers agents, or to maximise sale price.

Shrugging your shoulders and saying "I don't know", if you were an auction house who'd listed this watch as "Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 - £3000-£5000" is one thing, doing the same when you've dedicated a full page to rhapsodising about how great and original the watch is, is quite another.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 4, 2017

[QUOTE="tyrantlizardrex, post: 849076, member: 1643"...........

Shrugging your shoulders and saying "I don't know", if you were an auction house who'd listed this watch as "Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 - £3000-£5000" is one thing, doing the same when you've dedicated a full page to rhapsodising about how great and original the watch is, is quite another.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it

11. boltman Dec 4, 2017

Fascinating

12. micampe Dec 4, 2017

watchyouwant and Spacefruit like this.
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 4, 2017

I understand full and well that auction houses can't be experts with every watch brand and type BUT they charge quite a lot of money for their services. They charge from seller as well as buyer and end up with a very substancial amount of the money in the transaction.

So what can you expect for that money?? Certain some form of vetting originality - especially when they advertise it as such.

KingCrouchy, marco and red crowned like this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Dec 4, 2017

Not wanting to find my collar felt by anyone’s legal team, and having skirted around this in both my posts... I suspect that the auction house knew exactly what they were selling... or at least enough to no longer have plausible deniability... and listed it as “genuine” anyway.

It’s disappinting, but then hardly shocking... where there’s buckets of money with the possibility of making more, you find people willing to do questionable things to keep those buckets filling.

marco, red crowned and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  15. georgeszaslavsky Dec 4, 2017

It is one of the reasons I have blacklisted mercilessly sellers linked to auction houses, and I have told all my friends who are watch collectors never to buy anything from price gougers and crooks which are often linked to auction houses. Honesty should be the key player when it comes to purchase a watch but sometimes the level of greed , cheek and unhonesty of some sellers is way beyond limits. As said before always buy the seller before buying the watch.

16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2017

One or the benefits of not having any money is that I don't have worry about any of this...

I'll stick with investing the time in the hunt to find honest watches.

17. cristos71 Dec 4, 2017

Absolutely my feelings here too, where's the fun in being the person who holds the record for paying the most for any given reference?

marco and padders like this.
  18. PerJ Dec 4, 2017

I guess the fun is having the best possible watch. Not all of us are able to find these in the wild.

Interesting if this watch went back to the seller. Knowing how the watch was put together for the sale I think we can feel pretty safe that these parts will find new watches very soon.

19. cristos71 Dec 4, 2017

I think this post clearly shows that paying the most at auction doesn't necessarily equate to coming home with the best possible watch!

20. tyrantlizardrex Dec 4, 2017

You can find anything if you put in enough time, have enough patience, and gather enough knowledge.