2782 Constellation black hobnail advice

Hi everyone, first post here at the forum. My name is Ramon, I've been collecting Constellations and Seamasters for 2 years, but only recently looking into the 'earlier' versions, like the 2782 below.

I know that black dials are fairly rare, but I still wanted to ask if you think this one is original. As you can see, the hobnail makes it difficult to read the font. It's an auction ad, so I'm not able to get better pictures than this. For that reason, I'm happy to take a risk if the price is good. I've browsed through the forum, Desmonds database, and some websites, but have not come across a like for like example - so that might be a red flag in itself.

Crown seems to be wrong - I would expect decagonal? Also, it's the first time I see 'constellation' written on the caseback.
Many thanks in advance for helping!

Difficult, actually no font clearly visible....but the experts here will probably find some additional informations

The watch is rare and correct but the dial text is washed/worn away somehow. That is what has been holding this one back since it was originally listed on CH24 for approx €2.4K. It is now listed on an an auction site and if it isn't shilled into a non-sale I'd expect it to go for maybe €1200-€1500 or so.

Here a better one and also a 2782

025.JPG

thanks for this advice! I had indeed seen a comparable Hobnail to yours in the private sales section, but wasn't sure if the markers were correct for the one I've posted above. Will follow the auction, thanks.

Hobnails do come with both kind of hour markers, the one you post is the first time I've seen a black one with the arrowheads.

And...sold for 1410 EUR. I participated as well, but didn't want to go to 1500 (+9% auction fee). Still curious though how it looks in real life.

And...sold for 1410 EUR. I participated as well, but didn't want to go to 1500 (+9% auction fee). Still curious though how it looks in real life.

A little bird tells me we may soon be seeing it around these parts…

A little bird tells me we may soon be seeing it around these parts…

I was hoping that to be the case. Happy it goes to someone that knows considerably more about it than I do 😀

I would bet someone posting in this thread got it.

The seconds hand appears to be clipped. Watchmakers have been known to clip the seconds hand in order to accommodate a non-standard shallow crystal.

Art

The seconds hand appears to be clipped. Watchmakers have been known to clip the seconds hand in order to accommodate a non-standard shallow crystal.

Art

The new owner has a spare, full length example ready. 😁