Forums Latest Members

$258k Neptune Seamaster Sale @ Christies (Classic threads of yesteryears)

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

Beautiful watches come up every now and then, the recent 37mm platinum and diamond dial 30T2RG chronometer that sold in the last year for six figures is a great example, but you really don't see too many Cloisonne dials come up for sale. The Constellation observatory Cloisonne is probably the better known of these amazing 1950s pieces but this chronometer rated Seamaster bumper Cal 354 is no less impressive in its design and craftsmanship. Christies are estimating a price between 60,000CHF and 100,000CHF, which could be interesting to watch given the tremendous gravity and inertia behind pricing on top tier rare Omega vintage pieces from the 1950s at present.

The watch comes up for auction on the 12th of November at Christies Geneve, so we're a month away from seeing the hammer price, in the mean time, its a beautiful piece to appreciate

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 11.46.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 11.46.32 PM.png

From Christies:

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

And for the record, unlike Paul Newman Daytonas and Double Red Seadwellers, this is a watch that actually does earn and deserve the word "Rare"

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

The last one of these did very well - within the present estimate range. I wonder if this will break $100,000 in value. A true rare specimen which will only go up in value going forward.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

All the Christies estimates on these upper end Omegas have turned out to be conservative of late so I'm thinking its entirely possible 100K could be broken. I'm just hoping one day we end up with a member or two owning some pieces like these, would be great to see in the WRUW thread from time to time ;)

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

BTW , this watch does not just merely depict "Neptune on his Chariot pulled by Seahorses". But these Seahorses, also known as Hippocampus, are the often represented "Cavali" (horses) on the Italian gondolas of Venice. It is from these gondola ornamental rope ties that Omega took the image that represents the Seamaster line to this day. Hence the image selection for this Cloisonne.
    The first image in this sequence is from my personal Cavali collection.

Cal.jpg G005-black-big.jpg Orseolo blue seat boat 2.jpg
    seahorsecr.jpg.jpg pd588354.jpg

X350 XJR likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

Now that I didn't know lol

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

So... Nelly Richard of Stern Freres did most of the best Cloisonne work for Omega Rolex and Patek in the 40s and 50s, but I didn't realise she recycled artwork across brands like this:
    [​IMG]
    Rolex-Neptune.jpg

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

This sort of thing is not as unusual as you think - how many versions of Rodin's the Thinker are there? At last count about 20 original castings and many other different versions. Painters can be the same way making multiple versions of the same painting in different sizes.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

I think it is prices like this that show that truly vintage omegas have arrived.

12. Melhadary Nov 12, 2012

Beautiful, cicindela! This fantastic creature makes many prominent appearances in the archaeological evidence of the ancient Mediterranean!

And ofcourse:

"A seahorse emblem has graced the casebacks of this line since 1958 as a symbol for water-resistance, and is now one of the best-known trademarks in the world of watches. The logo was conceived by engraver Jean-Pierre Borle, who was inspired in Venice by an image of Neptune, the Roman god of the sea, driving a chariot pulled by seahorses (this is why the Omega seahorses wear bridles)." - WatchTime Special Omega Issue, Oct 2008, Page 69 -

Is it a wonder this representation of Neptune, the Seamaster, drawn by this awe-inspiring sea-stallion give such value to this watch!

My favorite Hippocamp (Noble Seed of Poseidon) from Heraldic artistry:

Heraldicseahorse_resize.JPG

13. ulackfocus Nov 12, 2012

Holy $#it! :eek:

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

Very nice . Lovely artistry.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

Very nice . Lovely eloquence. :D

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

If they keep arriving like this one just did we're all going to have to start learning vintage Longines in a hurry.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

18. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 12, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Thanks for bringing to our attention the past auction-price achieved by this wonderful piece.

Let us hope the price of a similar piece, realized at the current auction will be much, much more. If so, it can then be proven that a rare (this word is loosely used, nowadays) vintage-watch is a good investment item and not just a pretty face to be admired by enthusiasts and collectors. This could have happened yesterday but not today.

Despite this, there are still far too many people who claim that vintage-watch collecting is about enjoyment and nothing else, while investment is not a consideration. If that is so, why do the fortunate keep the Patek Phiippe Caliber 89 in a bank-vault of museum? Definitely, it is not a time-piece meant to be displayed in the home or office or brought into a coffee-shop for others to admire its beauty. The fact such a rare time-piece is kept under lock and key, says it all. There is nothing to be ashamed to say, I buy this 'rare' and beautiful bird, not only for its beauty but at the same time, it has a tremendous potential investment-value, when demand outstrips supply.

Thank-you.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 12, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Indeed it is a fantastic price. However, it is not totally unexpected.

In 2009, the hammer-price was CHF 66 000.00 and today, hardly about 3 years after, the hammer-price is CHF 243 000.00. If this is not an investment piece, I do not know what is the meaning of the word 'investment'.

Probably, to some people speculating in properties is an investment, buying and selling stocks and shares is an investment while, a rare and vintage-watch is for enjoyment and passion only and NOT an investment. Why still hide behind a curtain with the assertion, vintage-watch collecting can never be looked upon, as an investment?

Thank-you.

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2019

Classic threads of yesteryears

eugeneandresson likes this.