Forums Latest Members
  1. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 13, 2015

I already know what many of you would say about this: redial = thumbs down; heavily polished case = thumbs down; lug damaged on underside = thumbs down. However, $900 doesn't seem so high considering it's dealer serviced, looks beautiful and even comes with a crocodile strap and omega buckle (I know, a new one that maybe isn't exactly correct, but still). One could offer $800 and see what happens. But what kills it for me is the redial. It looks nice enough, but why put lumed dots around the dial when the hands have no lume? How can you tell time in the dark if only the dial is illuminated and not the hands? Why do so many redials have this or other ridiculous mistakes? Why can't they get the typeface for OMEGA right? If the redial was truly accurate and the case not so polished and damaged, would you all still say thumbs down?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...s-Stainless-Watch-Ref-2577-12SC/141809770419?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

Do what ever you think is the best thing for you. Good luck.

blufinz52 likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 13, 2015

But the listing states that the dial is original. It couldn't possibly be a redial.
    There are so many really original Seamasters out there, for a price that allows service and is still lower than that one, that I wouldn't waste my money. Take your time.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 13, 2015

That dial was refinished in the past but "it was original from Omega" not Chinese fake.

Ebay sellers love to use "original" in that meaning.

mozartman and PatrickJ like this.
  5. Hijak Dec 13, 2015

That's worth no where near $800!:thumbsdown:

hugo, mozartman and PatrickJ like this.
  6. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 13, 2015

Thanks, all. There's no way I would consider that one. Although in theory I wouldn't necessarily reject an accurate and well-done redial (unlike many of you, I know), a redial that adds illuminated dots when the hands are not illuminated is just ridiculous to me. And can it possibly be that isn't a redial? I guess my question really was, are there highly accurate redials that impress even you discriminating collectors, or are all or nearly all of them fails like this one?

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 13, 2015

Based on what I've learned here, most are fails. There's usually a pretty obvious tell that, once you know what to look for, is easy to spot. I like to follow the Worst Redials stickied thread. There are some really bad ones but there are some really good ones. I have learned a lot but am nowhere near qualified to make the call on a lot of them.

8. rmurphy37 Apr 25, 2016

efauser you have been a big help to me today ...... I appreciate it too!

9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 25, 2016

It's such a typical Noob / gift watch, "condition - like new" but it's 60 years old. Someone will buy this and if they do not come here they will enjoy it too.