Forums Latest Members

2531.80 SMP Dial/Bezel insert options?

1. jdlynch10 Dec 3, 2016

New to the site.
    Owned my SMP 2531.80 for around 2 years now and am curious if anyone makes a black dial and black bezel insert for this model. (I was told it was a possibility and would be interested in changing to black.

If I stuck with the blue, I'd like to have the bezel replaced and the dial possibly re-lumed - any thoughts on having that done correctly and professionally?

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 3, 2016

Depending on cost/availability, you may be better going for a new dial rather than reluming the current one. If you are going down the "complete refresh" route, you may baulk at the cost.

Also,if you don't know the history of the watch, a service may be recommended as well.

Oh, and some pictures of the current condition would help :)

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 3, 2016

Don't. Sell the watch and buy a 2254.50 or watch you actually like. The aftermarket bezel inserts are terrible and the real ones are mega bucks, think £300/$350 and the dial will be expensive too. Don't buy the wrong watch and fix it. Buy the right watch.

blubarb likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Dec 3, 2016

padders likes this.
  5. guelerct Dec 3, 2016

I bought a replacement bezel from ofrei before that closed and it wasn't $300, more like $150. But they are gone now and I don't know where to get one parts easily. The new bezel did bring the watch back to life visually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thegreatroberto Dec 7, 2016

Dunno if this helps, but.
    I had the bezel replaced on my blue 300 m from 2001. I expected it to be silly money. The watch was having a service at a authorised omega service centre. New bezel cost was £104. Even sold the old one on eBay for £85! This was the complete bezel and not just an insert.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2016

It is still cheaper at an official service place or STS. (Or presumably an authorised Indy with a parts account) but it is nearer £200 for a bezel these days. STS would also charge a part repair fee of about £50 on top if done outside a full service, not sure about OSC but likely similar. At the likes of Ofrei or Cousins they are now in excess of £300/$380, if they have them at all. Things have moved on dramatically since both the experiences above.

Edited Dec 7, 2016