Forums Latest Members

24 hour desk clock ... have you ever seen one of these?

1. jimmyd13 Apr 27, 2018

As the title asks, have you ever seen one of these:

24 hour clock.jpg

It's exactly what it looks like, a single handed clock with a 24 hour dial in an ormalu case. There's no maker's mark, no simple way in to the mechanism, yet it intrigues me.

I know we're watch collectors but perhaps someone has seen one, if only in a book?

2. chanbar Apr 27, 2018

Maybe you access the mechanism by unscrewing the top at the four corners? It looks pretty cool and would look great on a desk

3. jimmyd13 Apr 28, 2018

I'm sure you're right about access but what I meant was that it wasn't possible to get inside and see if it's signed.

It's just odd enough to be attractive.

4. Arahne Apr 29, 2018

Very strange object. What looks strange to me is that I see 3 different designs that do not correspond with each other. One is the case box highly elaborated relief with profiled base with paws. Second one is the clock with the frame which does not look like pair with case base. The third one is hand. It is cast iron. I would expect something more finer. Based on this observation, I would say that somebody used parts of 3 different items and assembled a clock. I would also say that there should be original key for unscrewing the hand. Apologize if I am completely wrong.

5. jimmyd13 Apr 29, 2018

You can be completely wrong or completely right. I found it interesting and would happily have paid £60 for it. I didn't even get the chance to raise my hand ... it sold for £275.