Forums Latest Members

2296.80/2297.80 Discussions/Photos/Reviews

1. Spirtnoye May 19, 2016

Where do you guys get parts for a 2996/7.80 series? I've tried to scour Otto's page for parts, and I think some of them are there, but bezels seem to be lost on me there. Is there another source for parts for these or is it one of those "anything you need for this one needs to go to Omega" situations?

Thanks!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2016

It depends on what parts you want. Omega will sell you bracelet parts for example, but not bezels, dials, hands, crown, HEV, etc. For movement parts, since this is a Cal. 1164 and based on the ETA 7750, most basic movement parts can be bought on the open market, however there are some parts that are specific to Omega.

Cheers, Al

3. Spirtnoye May 19, 2016

Well I probably should have specified about bezels. That's really what I'd replace first. It's just been a bit of a challenge finding the gold bezels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. omegawatchlvr May 23, 2016

I have an 2296, and have asked myself the same question. I believe the 96 bezels : Tantalum and Rose gold are possible to order however since it's such an uncommen item there is a long delivery time on them. I was given a price around 1200,- euro when I requested it.

5. Spirtnoye May 23, 2016

That's a hell of a price. The model I have incoming (2296.80) has some of the dark blue paint missing from a couple of the markers, so I was going to see how easy that is to replace.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2016

If that's all that's wrong, then repainting the numbers is the way I would go...

7. Spirtnoye May 23, 2016

Is model paint the way to go? Or is there a recommended paint? I'd rather not just take a sharpie to it so it doesn't have that little pseudo-shine to it.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2016

Like I said paint - not a Sharpie. When I do this job I yes use model paints.

9. Spirtnoye May 23, 2016

I'll have to look for some that's the same or similar in color. Thanks for the insight.

10. omegawatchlvr May 23, 2016

Coincidentally mine has lost some paint as well, it does not bother me that much but would definitely be an easy fix as Archer suggested. And some scratches and two dents , wich is character if you ask me.

11. Spirtnoye May 23, 2016

Well scratches and dents are indeed character. For sure. But a paint touch up is easy enough to do, why not, I say.

12. omegawatchlvr May 24, 2016

Don't forget to post pics before and after if possible! :)

13. Spirtnoye May 24, 2016

Will do! It's incoming at this point, so when it gets here I'll upload some.

14. omegawatchlvr May 25, 2016

Looking forward to the pic's! I just go mine 24th of march so I still consider myself a new owner as well of one of these somewhat rare beasts!

15. Spirtnoye May 27, 2016

I wasn't originally looking for a 2296.80. I had gotten mildly scammed out of a 1603 Datejust and looked at it as a fresh start to get something else I'd really like. I had a breitling aerospace and loved the fact that it was titanium, so I wanted to see what I could get in titanium with some robust water resistance. Omega was the way to go, so I started looking for a 2231.80, as I liked the shiny blue dial with the dull titanium. I stumbled up a 2296.80 photo during my search and just found myself gravitating more towards that one. It looks amazing with all the elements of design that come together so well. I had the stainless model a few years ago and never had an issue with accuracy like I did with my 1603. Plus, the addition of titanium, tantalum, and rose gold put the value of a 2296.80 far above the 1603 in both monetary value and desirability. Plus, this is about as far away as a "me too" Omega as you can get in my opinion.

Coincidentally, as I write this I just got a call that my watch should be here in an hour.

16. omegawatchlvr May 27, 2016

Cool story surely took some paths to this watch, I actually have the 2231.80 wich I bought before the chrono just like you I really like the blue dial. The dull titanium really makes the it pop compared to a steel version I also have it on an blue croc strap with white stitching Ti-Chique I call it :) . My 2231 I bought because I always wanted one and at the time could not find another in the end I had to do alot of work on it: full polish,new bezel,new valve,new crown,new glass,new gaskets,full service including many new parts,new hands. In the end I got an almost new watch and to much money in it to (if I) ever sell it be happy with. So this probably stays for a while but I don't mind it's a beauty and alot of bang for the buck compared to Omega's recent titanium offerings.
    I also always liked the 2296 really special with the tantalum and I found one with a unique box and papers. Also this watch was never polished so yes there are a few scratches but I don't mind because I become OCD over a perfect watch and tend not to wear and enjoy it as often . Not the case with the chrono and could not be happier.
    Looking forward to see you before and after pics though of the bezel fill
    On a side note titanium is a weird material strong and light, yet it does scratch easily though the dark color hides it.
    I also have no idea how many 2296's are made

BrianMcKay likes this.
  17. Spirtnoye May 27, 2016

[​IMG]

Here's the quick, right-out-of-the-box photo. Needs a little bit of paint to bring it up and I'll probably send it off for servicing if I can't find a reliable guy here.

I like it, a lot. I think I'll need a new clasp though, as this one looks like it was polished to kingdom come. But boy does it look good in all sorts of lighting! Granted, for $2K, I think it's in remarkable shape. I'm going to look at the serial number and try and get a date on this one.

More soon!

18. omegawatchlvr May 27, 2016

Here's mine
    IMG_5031.jpg

BrianMcKay likes this.
  19. Spirtnoye May 27, 2016

They just look great from all angles and lighting! Can't stop smiling as I wear it.

20. omegawatchlvr May 27, 2016

This is how I got it
    IMG_4818.jpg IMG_4815.jpg

ByThorsHammer, ericmtl and BrianMcKay like this.