224105: what to relume

Posts
6,821
Likes
10,639
I know, I know: only original once. Fact is that the hands of this one are for sure not original lume and I have my doubts about the rest. Idea is to send the hands to James Hyman anyway but what about the rest? The longer I look at the lume the more doubts I have. Some pics: (also - for fun - James' recent work on a 1016)
Edited:
 
Posts
16,305
Likes
45,025
Can’t speak to the debate on the UG, but that explorer dial should be archived as an example of absolutely when to relume. Stunning outcome!
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
Tough to say on the left, dial could be original lume. I would only relume the dial if the dark color really bothers you. You could probably go a bit lighter on the hands, they often don’t match the dial. What Cal is this?

I would relume everything on the right.
 
Posts
1,581
Likes
12,610
After seeing 1016, would go for both dial and hands! Just wow!
 
Posts
1,523
Likes
3,150
I know, I know: only original one. Fact is that the hands of this one are for sure not original lume and I have my doubts about the rest. Idea is to send the hands to James Hyman anyway but what about the rest. The longer I look at the lume the more doubts I have. Some pics: (also - for fun - James' recent work on a 1016)

I cannot praise James Hyman enough. He does a great job !
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,639
Tough to say on the left, dial could be original lume. I would only relume the dial if the dark color really bothers you. You could probably go a bit lighter on the hands, they often don’t match the dial. What Cal is this?

I would relume everything on the right.
Right is no question for me: full relume.
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
i have a set of these hands with orig lume, but it's for a cal 281, I assume the one on the left is larger diameter?
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,639
Both are 36mm. James can perfectly match the hands and the dial.
 
Posts
13,905
Likes
54,078
The dial is fair at best. The hands and the rest would make me nuts. Relume by a good practitioner plus a full service.
 
Posts
295
Likes
387
I would just leave UG as is. A relume would not match the patina of the dial and it would be an obvious relume.

However, it is a different story for the 1016 dial as it was in good condition in the first place albeit the lume was bad.
 
Posts
1,180
Likes
4,233
Colour is pretty close to originally aged 👍

For comparison:
 
Posts
210
Likes
123
Amazing result! There is definitely an argument to be made as well if lume isn't stable and/or flaking off.
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,942
I only see now this thread! Old lume looked ok to me, it should be radium.